accuracy of stainless rules

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
MaineGeezer

Re: accuracy of stainless rules

Post by MaineGeezer »

There are certainly other good manufacturers out there, with prices less than Starrett.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that means it has passed a standard of accuracy.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

There are a lot of good tools that are cheaper than a Starrett, unless you buy vintage, which I would recommend. If you are buying vintage, then Starret, Brown and Sharp, and Lufkin all make readily available high quality measuring tools. Here is a site that sells new, high quality blems from Japanese companies like PEC and iGaging.

[url]https://www.ebay.com/sch/taylortoolwork ... 7675.l2562[/url
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

I recently bought 2 4" iGaging double squares for gifts and they compared exactly to the couple of Starretts I use.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=15 ... =100&rt=nc
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

The forum will opnly allow 1 URL per message - here is #3

I have found black with white writing to be the bees knees

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-6-Rigid-Bla ... SwajVUPAT-

Ed
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

And only use a tape measure for gross measurement. The little tip that allows outside and inside reading makes them great for carpentry, but inaccurate for what we do here.

I have 3 Lufkin folding (zig-zag) rules that are scattered around the shop, and I have been careful to select 3 that agree with each other and that agree with my Starretts

Ed
Ed M
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Sometimes forums get out of hand.It is easy to get caught up in problems that don't actually exist. I was actually starting to worry a bit about my many shop rules after following this thread. Today I took what is what I think is my best rule, a 24" Mitoyu, and compared it with 5 other long rules I have. The conclusion I came to is that you would have to be some kind of super human to tell the difference between them. Woodwork just is not done in thousandths of an inch. I don't think a $200.00 Starrett rule will build a better guitar. Too many other things to worry about in building. Just my opinion.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use a 36 in metal yard stick
it is just fine for what we do.
Bob is right we don't need to worry about thousandths. What is a concern is that you learn to read your ruler. I am surprised at how many are not well versed it reading or marking. Learn to be able to lay out and be consistent. THe only reason I have so many scales is that I was a machinist and had them up to 48 inches. My 48 in scale sets proudly where I put it when I came home from my last day on the job.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

This morning I went to an estate sale that advertised tools and I got these 3. All are 12" Starrett, all are #4 graduations which means 1/8", 1/16", 1/32", 1/64".

#1 is an early one - WW1? - and is well used but the rule is nice and bright. #2 and 3 appear to be after WW2 with very clean jappaning, and some staining on the blades. #1 is the only one with the scribe still in it it. All 3 levels work. #3 has a small section of pitting in the center of one end of the rule that does not seem to get in the way - see the picture.

And remember that all of these rules, including the cheap ones, are adjustable

#1 - $20
#2 - $20
#3 - $15

Plus shipping - I think they will fit in a Priority mail envelope

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M