New Rosette

What're You Doing?
glasalle1

New Rosette

Post by glasalle1 »

Hi Folks,

I haven't been building much over last couple months as Life seems to have gotten in the way - but back onto my 2 guitars I have in progress. Working on a Rosette for my Larson Brothers Prairie State Jumbo Inspired guitar. I was looking at pics of older Larson Brothers, and I liked the combo of marquetry with pearl. Following is the rosette that is is progress. Note the white plastic filler strip will be replaced with some nice Paua shell. What I really liked about the old Larson i saw was the red in the rosette.

Here is the outer and inner bands already inlaid with bl/maple/bl (.20/.20/.20) strips. The middle ring is about .305", and was a pain as a lot of thin pieces to get into place (had visions of how this is going to be difficult when i get to the binding - cause it will get the same exact treatment with the pearl, etc). Got a little chip out on the top while routing... which is the first time i have had that issue - was new bit as well.:
IMG_1292.jpg
Here is the rosette installed, rough, and taped:
IMG_1293.jpg
Here is the rosette scraped a bit to get an idea of what it will look like. Next up is to remove the plastic filler strip and put shell in. Will be following same procedure John highlights in the Style 40 Purfling video - Cracking it into place.
IMG_1297.jpg
Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Re: New Rosette

Post by Danl8 »

That's nice. Did you glue up the black white and cut tiles for the stuff adjacent to the pearl?
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

For the dentile strips, i used my most important tool awhile ago, my computer, and I designed and ordered through Gurian :-)

Glenn.
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Continued putting the pearl in. The pearl is sitting a bit lower than the rest, so will put through my sander till the top comes down to the pearl:
IMG_1298.jpg
IMG_1299.jpg
IMG_1301.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that looks sweet
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Beautiful. Looking forward to following your progress.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Super72bb

Post by Super72bb »

Looks good, nice work there. Keep us posted on your progress
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Beautiful. I am a big fan of colors added to rosettes and purfling. How much length do you have to order from Gurian on a custom order. Is it expensive?

Ed
Ed M
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Beautiful. I am a big fan of colors added to rosettes and purfling. How much length do you have to order from Gurian on a custom order. Is it expensive?

Ed
Hi Ed,

Yeah, you have to commit to a full layup... which is pretty expensive. However, I still owe you strips of what i have - I will get to it, I promise.

Glenn
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wow, it looks great! Love your use of color.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com