Gluing the bridge -- fish glue?

What're You Doing?
Danl8

Gluing the bridge -- fish glue?

Post by Danl8 »

What's the current thought about using fish glue for the bridge?
Super72bb

Re: Gluing the bridge -- fish glue?

Post by Super72bb »

Glad you asked this question. I am sorry I don't have an answer but would also like to know. I know that there is plenty of thoughts and opinions on glue choice for the critical components. On a test I did in my shop I found that fish glue seemed to be really hard when it was dry compared to titebond. This makes me think it is an excellent choice for braces and as John puts it, "sonic components". What I did notice during my test was that fish glue was easily softened with moisture. This makes me wonder if a guitar is subjected to frequent changes in humidity (common for me as I live near the equator in the tropics) is it likely that the fish glue joints will eventually break down?

I don't mean to hijack your thread but would love to know the pros and cons. Certainly a good question, would it be a great choice for the bridge?

Cheers

Curtis
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

No hijacking worries at all. Curtis, I think you nailed it. (or glued it). Fish glue dries really hard and from all reports softens easily with water. Since a hygroscopic property is a mixed blessing, it might not be the right choice. I'm going to use it today, though, and think I will seal the exposed joint with shellac as a preventive. In any case the whole guitar has been assembled with Nemo, so this might be a moot worry. ;-)
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

I use fish glue for all my bridges. I only had 1 issue with a bridge lifting, and it was my fault (didn't clamp well). John shows how to fix that in one of the youtube videos when using fish glue.

Glenn
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Thanks, Glenn, that is reassuring. Just finished. Love the open time. I needed to reposition the clamps or I would have had a noticeable gap and the fish glue made that no-stress. Cleanup is really easy too. Wish the ibex clamps cleared the x-braces better.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've used fish glue and hot hide glue. Both are excellent for bridge gluing. Make sure that it's within its shelf life. According to Stewmac, it has an almost indefinite shelf life if it's kept refrigerated, but bring it to room temp to use. I like to use it within 6 months.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

HHG or Fish is what I use
I do allow 12 hr clamp time
if your using torrified I allow 24 hr
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center