Plane parts

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Plane parts

Post by Bob Gleason »

Since there are a few builders here playing with planes, thought I'd ask a parts question. I'm looking for a brass adjustment knob for my Bailey #7 plane. Probably several of the baileys use the same brass knob. It is about 15/16" in diameter and right hand thread. That's different than the knob on my #8, which is over an inch in diameter and has left hand thread. Thanks, Bob
tippie53

Re: Plane parts

Post by tippie53 »

can you post a pic/ I have few parts
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Bob

Your #7 is quite an old plane. I am not near my books right now, but a right handed thread, smaller brass nut indicate perhaps a pre-1880 plane. This will be a difficult part to come up with - it it were the later left hand threaded, larger nut, I could send you a dozen, but this older one is hard to come by.

Just to expand, Stanley realized early on that the easiest way to advance the blade while you were planing was to push down on the nut - this does not break your stride or force you to give up you grip on the tote. Then a bit later they realized that a larger nut would make it easier to advance the blade with the proper tension on the lever cap.

What does the logo on the blade look like?

Ed
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Is this approximately correct? This is a drawing of the nut on my #6 plane, except the thread on my #6 is left hand, not right hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Nice drawing. I'd have to do some measuring to see if it is the same. However, my search has turned up a restorer of planes who thinks he has the part. Checking today and will get back to me.Thanks to those of you who have answered me. I'll let you know.--Bob
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I will have to check stop in on your way home LOL
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

One could always make a new threaded stud, threaded 1/4-24 RH on one end for a distance of about 1/4" to screw into the frog, and threaded 1/4-24 LH on the remainder to accept a more readily available left-hand threaded nut.

Or just make a right-hand threaded nut.

Or hunt down a RH nut for sale.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Thanks for all the replies. I did finally find a vintage tool dealer that has the knob and it's on it's way.--Bob
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Bob, can you share the name of the dealer? I am looking for a Woden (English) lever cap.
Thanks - Bruce
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Stray

Here is a guy with a million parts - not cheap,but he has them

https://www.ebay.com/sch/nhplaneparts/m ... pg=&_from=

Ed
Ed M