Earlex Sprayer

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Stray Feathers

Earlex Sprayer

Post by Stray Feathers »

For my two first builds, I wanted a gloss finish but did not want to use volatile lacquer, so chose a waterborne finish, Bright Tone instrument finish. I had assumed I could buy a sprayer to use with my compressor, but then learned that it's best to use a HVLP system, which my compressor would not run. As a casual first-time builder I had to choose between buying an expensive compressor which I did not need otherwise, or an expensive HVLP turbine system. Then I found the Earlex line, designed in Britain, and bought their model HV2901P (which is made in Poland):

http://www.earlex.com/spraystation-hv2901p/

Earlex also manufactures sprayers (including one like this) for a car finish company called Dip Your Car which has some useful videos on using and cleaning the sprayers, but using very different automotive finishes.

It was on sale for $200 CAD so pretty reasonable. I've never used any kind of sprayer, but I thought I would share a few comments. Apart from learning how to spray (holy cow - there's a learning curve . . . ), it worked pretty well. It's pretty inexpensive, good for a casual user. There is no air supply adjustment on the sprayer, just a flow adjustment. That's a plastic wheel that can be adjusted up or down. There are no markings on it to help you remember what settings work best, so I marked it myself with a felt marker. That's an easy improvement they could make. It comes with a 2.5 mm brass tip which I did not use, and ordered a 1.5 mm tip which seems to be recommended for instrument finishes. There are three settings for spray: horizontal and vertical fan sprays, and a round spray. The bottle is too large for small jobs like guitars. As best I can see, the large diameter hose is very simple and does not lend itself to fitting other spray guns. The sprayer is easy to clean. I got the finish on my guitars okay, but was expecting to be able to get a better finish out of the gun. I later realized my results were not that far out of the ordinary, and would be better with more practice, but I have no other experience for comparison. Earlex makes other models, several better and more expensive.

For low-output luthiers on a budget it is worth a look; I'd be interested to know what people with more varied experience think of it.
tippie53

Re: Earlex Sprayer

Post by tippie53 »

they can work once you master the adjustments and mix
I use a retarder and thinner about 10% retarder and 25% thinner
learning to adjust the flow is key.
practice setting up on cardboard. Too much air and the finish is drying before it hits the body too little and you don't get a good pattern. It isn't hard just something that goes with learning your equipment

also it isn't so much what you put on as much as what you let on
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Rocker has a similar HVLP RIG on sale for 159.00. Was was considering it, or the PREVAL aerosol thing. The PREVAL has some pretty good ratings for nitro cellulose lacquer. Thanks for the review.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Some years ago I bought a Preval sprayer to blow on some paints that were not available in a rattle can. It was better than nothing, but not by much. I do not regard it as any kind of an easy way into spraying. I tossed it after one use. Atomization was more spatter than spray. But that's one person's memory of using it. Others with more recent experience may have some positive comments. All the setup needed to load a gun with paint need to be done with the Preval, with the caution that the sprayer's having no adjustments, all adjustments need to be done to the material being sprayed. And the gas cylinders ain't cheap.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I sprayed nitro for the first time today on a D-18 that I'm refinishing. It had a ton of polyurethane and needed a neck reset.

Learning to adjust the air/nitro mixture took a while. I thought I had it right, but the first coat had a grainy texture, due to too much air; the nitro was drying before hitting the guitar.

I should point out that this sprayer is Chinese made. I bought it for $23, from Amazon, and it included a regulator. However, it's hefty and has several adjustments.

I would think that the sprayer that your looking at, would be a great improvement over mine.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com