Blowing Out Inlay Dust While Routing

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Kbore

Blowing Out Inlay Dust While Routing

Post by Kbore »

My tiny dremel bit almost packs the dust into the line I'm routing and I'm looking for best way to clear it while routing; I can't see the line. . I have the big 4" Dust collector hose but it's not enough air velocity. I've read mixed results on aquarium pumps. Is there a favored model of aquarium pump that blows away the dust? StewMac base has a port for one. I almost have to pick the dust out. I'm practicing on pine 2x4, maybe Rosewood acts differently in terms of dust and fraz
Measure Twice,

Karl B
johnnparchem

Re: Blowing Out Inlay Dust While Routing

Post by johnnparchem »

I take a narrow bit of tape and wrap it on the bit leaving a short flag of tape sticking out. The spinning tape b;ows out the dust.
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

johnnparchem wrote:I take a narrow bit of tape and wrap it on the bit leaving a short flag of tape sticking out. The spinning tape b;ows out the dust.
That's brilliant. Gonna go try it right now.....
I'm back, that was remarkable.
I can't believe how well that worked!!!!
Thank you!
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

johnnparchem wrote:I take a narrow bit of tape and wrap it on the bit leaving a short flag of tape sticking out. The spinning tape b;ows out the dust.
Same here. Kbore, if you angle the end a bit it becomes a prop and you can get an up or down directional effect.