Removed X braces and look at what happened

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
lonecedar959

Removed X braces and look at what happened

Post by lonecedar959 »

Hi Everyone

I decided to remove the xbraces from the the top to do a better job of getting them lined up correctly. I watched John's video of removing back braces from a conversion guitar. Thanks John for that video because it helped alot.

When I finally got them removed (and it was not difficult) I see this in the pictures below...
top_indentions2.JPG
This was after some sanding with 220 grit to remove try and remove them. I guess it is the Go Bar rods from Stew Mac. They are stiff but I did not expect it to do this. I guess I am going to need to make some adjustments to the deck or rods. I didn't think I had the base too high

Do you suggest still using this top by sanding them down or purchase a new top and start over?

Thanks

-Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Re: Removed X braces and look at what happened

Post by Danl8 »

IMHO, the top is compromised. If it were mine I would do a new top. I'm guessing the experts will diagnose too much pressure from the go-bar deck. All I can say is wow.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

How thick is the top? If it's around ~ .100 or higher I think you're okay. The top may not be as pristine as you like from the inside, but as long as the braces make good contact in their new position, I think you're okay.

You can take dents out by using a wet cloth or paper towels, along with a soldering iron. You'll be shocked how those compressed fibers pop right back. Here is the video. https://youtu.be/pDSQ7u_ii00

I think your top will be okay.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I am a general woodworker as well as a guitar builder, and I was shown a trick by an interior finish carpenter that I learned under in the 1970's. If you dent the wood, just put a glob of saliva on the area and move on. By the time you come back to it, it will be dry and the dent will be gone. Only occasionally do I have to resort to heat, and that is usually just a bit of water heated in the microwave dropped on. I dent my instrument wood all the time - I actually have 10 thumbs - and this works for me.

For something the size of the compression you have, I would put a wet (not damp, wet) rag over it and use a clothes iron. The soldering iron would take forever. And I wouldn't mind if it wasn't perfect - save that for future instruments and just get this one done.

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yeah, I bet you can steam those dents out pretty easily. I think I'd prefer a soldering iron to a clothes iron so the heat and steam are localized where you want it, although I have no evidence that the broader heat area of a clothes iron would cause any problems.

One thing you could do, if you find a soldering iron taking too long, would be to get about a 3/4" square by about 6" long metal bar -- ideally brass, but steel would work and be a lot cheaper. Heat the bar on your kitchen stove and put that on a wet cloth lined up on top of the dents.

I think you would find, though, that a soldering iron of decent size will be fast enough not to try your patience too much.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I've found that using heat-shrink irons sold to shrink model airplane covering to be very useful in dent steaming. Inexpensive and like all tools, there's more good uses for these things once they're at hand.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

a steam iron will work wonders
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

phavriluk wrote:I've found that using heat-shrink irons sold to shrink model airplane covering to be very useful in dent steaming. Inexpensive and like all tools, there's more good uses for these things once they're at hand.
I agree. I use mine a lot anywhere I need a lot of concentrated heat in a small area, like for re-gluing bindings and such.
lonecedar959

Post by lonecedar959 »

Thanks everyone for the replies and ideas...

I used a steam iron - results were not good. I placed a wet cloth over the area and heated it with the steam iron. I am guessing the heat needed to be concentrated on the exact area that was affected. After applying the steam iron to it the top curled/bowed and when it dried it bent/bowed the other way and has stayed that way. I will not post the pictures - its not pretty. I saved the top in case it can be used later as repair wood.

Anyway I decided to purchase another top and try again. Lesson learned here understand the pressure that a Go Bar deck can apply and use heat in small amounts.

-Pat
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You should be able to flatten out the warped top. If it warped one way, it will warp back the other way. If you're fed up with it though, move on. This is supposed to be fun, not aggravation.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion