Melted French Polish

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
rcnewcomb

Melted French Polish

Post by rcnewcomb »

While traveling by car the case was on the sunward side of the vehicle for about 3 hours.
When I pulled the instrument out this morning it was stuck to the fuzzy lining of the case on the bass side lower bout. I am confident I can fix this since I did the original French Polish. But is there anything else I can do to toughen up and or protect the finish to prevent this from happening again?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Melted French Polish

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You've got me on this one. Shellac is a resin, so I can't think of any way to make it heat resistant, short of cross linking in a lab. But, there is a site that claims to have a formula that's more heat resistant.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/hardshell.htm

I'm sorry, this happened to you.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have had good luck with Royal-Lac another crosslinking shellac. It can go on top of shellac. It makes it hard, and more water and alcohol resistant. I do not know about heat though.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

rcnewcomb wrote:While traveling by car the case was on the sunward side of the vehicle for about 3 hours.
When I pulled the instrument out this morning it was stuck to the fuzzy lining of the case....
Like a canary in a coal mine, the shellac is tweeting that the storage conditions were not good. Thanks for this heads up; I will keep my cases out of the sun, esp. in the car.