Plate joining with tape

What're You Doing?
kinspeed

Plate joining with tape

Post by kinspeed »

Have any of you ever done it like this? It looks like it would work pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwjsIp44z3k
twenty2late

Re: Plate joining with tape

Post by twenty2late »

I did my last 2 tops like that and it worked pretty good. I didn't want to use the same method that I use for my backs because the wood is so much softer. Time will tell...but I'm sure all of the bracing just acts to make it even stronger in the end.

V/R
Ken
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Yup, I do this. John Hall showed me this technique in 2015 and I haven't gone back to my old way. Make sure you mark where the centerline is; the tape method works well enough to make it hard to find afterwards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

Thanks guys. Do you shellac the top or anything to keep the tape from tearing out the grain?
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

kinspeed wrote:Thanks guys. Do you shellac the top or anything to keep the tape from tearing out the grain?
You could do that. I was worried about a cedar top I joined in July, but it turned out not to be an issue. Torrified spruce seems to give me a bit more trouble as the wood is somewhat friable. Pull the tape gently and on an angle. I'm joining at full thickness and then planing to thickness afterwards, which of course mitigates any roughness.
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

Thank you Dan!
Last edited by kinspeed on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the key is that the joint is mated well. If you force a joint it is doomed to fail
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

tippie53 wrote:the key is that the joint is mated well. If you force a joint it is doomed to fail
That is the key (a universal woodworking truth). Two perfectly straight edges only need enough pressure to squeeze out the proper amount of glue. Tape can do that.
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

That is why you would want to candle it, right?
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

kinspeed wrote:That is why you would want to candle it, right?
Yes. I will post a photo of this as done by Martin as soon as i can figure out where I filed it. Okay i found 'em. The first is the candling station for examining for defects, like pitch pockets. Second shows the joining guy with the candling strip on his left that helps ensure a perfect joint. The third picture Is a better shot of the jointer -- bigger than i remember.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.