Old Growth Honduran Rosewood/Appalachian Red Spruce 000

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Old Growth Honduran Rosewood/Appalachian Red Spruce 000

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I found this set of Honduran Rosewood, which I picked up for an incredible price. I've decided to make a "flagship" guitar out of this wood. I'm inclined to make a 14 fret, 00 short scale, but that's up in the air right now; it could turn into am OM. But both guitars will reflect design changes that I've found will enhance bass and projection. I'm in the process of choosing a top set for, what what I hope will be a knockout guitar, both musically and aesthetically.

I'm undecided between Italian alpine spruce, Adirondack spruce, or white spruce. I used white spruce on my cherry 00 and it sounds fantastic.

I'm also designing an inlay scheme for the fretboard and headstock that will be elegant without being overwhelming. Of course, since it's rosewood, it must have roses. I think some butterflies might visit the roses...stay tuned.

I'm also thinking figured koa for the binding and perhaps cocobolo for the rosette and end wedge, with maybe a wee bit of abalone around the cocobolo rosette.

I'm also thinking of making the neck with figured maple, for a contrast.

If anyone has any thoughts on the soundboard, or other elements, please chime in. I want a well rounded guitar.

So this is my wood:
HRW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: "Flagship" Guitar

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Beautiful wood Diane, and the scheme sounds delightful!
It will be a fun one to watch.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The wood looks great! I like 12 fret 00 a little better than 14 but I know the market looks for 14.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I think I've found the top wood. I remember watching a documentary on tv about two men, one a luthier, who was allowed to log fallen red spruce trees in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Appalachian red spruce is very hard to find, and when found, the location is kept secret. They found a bunch of old growth trees here in West Virginia, which is why I've been searching for the tops for a couple of years. Ted Davis, the luthier in the documentary, worked with the WV Department of Fish and Wildlife, to find fallen red spruce logs. He died in 2008.

I finally found some of the wood, which belonged to Ted. Assuming it taps well she I get it, this is the top for the flagship:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I received the HRW today. It's really beautiful with a nice, resonate tap. Here it is with Naptha:
PicsArt_05-01-04.41.07.jpg
PicsArt_05-01-04.42.18.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I got the adi top today. It's a very nice one.
PicsArt_05-06-06.30.32.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I finally started work on this one. I'm going to make an OM or 000. I'm so impressed by the 000 that I restored, that I'm considering copying the bracing pattern for this guitar.

I joined 4 plates yesterday. I'll join the plates for this one today.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Old Growth Honduran Rosewood/Appalachian Red Spruce 000

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've installed the rosette. I used sapele. I started the rosette at the soundhole. I inlaid abalone, without purfling on either side. I installed BWB purfling only on the outside of the rosette.
PicsArt_07-24-09.32.32.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

wow that guitar is going to look great with the rosewood set you have.
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

Looks really cool. I'm looking forward to watching you build it!