How do you join your top and back plates? A Jig I Made.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
phavriluk

Re: How do you join your top and back plates? A Jig I Made.

Post by phavriluk »

Thanks, Diane. I saw such a clamp a couple of weeks ago at someone else's shop and it sure did well joining some soundboards. Used Titebond there, too, but it wasn't my tool and it wasn't my shop and I was helping and watching. Not the same as doing the job myself. Your posting came up just as I was making room to make one of my own.

Much obliged.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

For a couple guitars I used the "wedges at the side with the weight in the middle" technique. ThenImade a jig like Dianne's:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 776959267/

I made each half from 3/4" plywood scraps with joints like the one on an X-brace. Really easy to make if you have a table saw, but not bad even by hand. On the bottom grid I installed a piece of 3/4" plywood a few inches wide for the joint to ride on, and I put packing tape on it to keep glue from sticking. For the top one, I put packing tape on the bottom of the strips that might contact the joint. Most of the jigs you see use 3 ropes, but, like Dianne, I thought 4 would be better.

Probably more than is necessary, but so easy to use without any alterations even for a uke.

As far as the glue setting before you have it on the jig, I apply the glue, then rub the joint a bit, and it takes just a minute or two to get the wedges in.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks Ed!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com