new fret saw

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

new fret saw

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Bad axe makes some of the nicest handsaws around. They also offer a first-class sharpening service. And a friend had a really beautiful late 19th century Richardson backsaw handle with a trashed blade that they put a new plate in.

This is a brand-new offering. It is not on their site yet so I am not sure what the kerf width is. Check the second picture down:

https://overthewireless.com/2017/07/16/ ... september/

Ed
Ed M
Kbore

Re: new fret saw

Post by Kbore »

Thanks, now it'll be one of those have-to haves. Made in America. I love tools made in America . THIS IS GONNA COST ME...
They have an awesome web site.

"it’s a 10” backsaw with an adjustable depth stop set precisely at .022-.023 combined set for fretting the guitar neck. Used without the depth saw, it’s a great overall saw for delicate work. The .015 plate is filed 17 ppi x-cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Nice looking saw.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

No price on their web site. Looks to me as if the saw is not yet offered for sale (20 July 2017). Love to have one, by the looks of it.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I measured the slots on my accumulation of over 30 backsaws and was able to find one with an .023 kerf. If your saw is a little too wide, you can take it down a bit by stoning the sides.

Cut a kerf and measure it, then rub along the length of the blade with a fine sharpening stone, equal strokes on both sides, to take a little material off the width. This actually sharpens the saw a little too. Go slowly because it can happen fast - sort of like cutting nut slots.

Since you only need a half dozen strokes for each fret slot, it should last a long time.

However, there is certainly something very nice about using a high quality tool.

Ed
Ed M
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

I visited the web site and sent an email. Here is the reply:[cite]Man, that luthier saw web page keeps slipping in priority—should have had it up by now. The good news is you won’t need to wait for the web page. Just place your down payment through our 10” DT saw page listing the handle species, hand sizing, and any of the optional finishes for the sawback and fasteners, and we’ll set this up as a luthier saw for you.

We’ll keep an eye out for your order to come through and will respond back to you within 48 hours to confirm all specifications.

Give me another shout via this direct email address as soon as you place your order, and we’ll make this happen.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark D. Harrell, Owner
Bad Axe Tool Works
1500 Green Bay, Suite #508
La Crosse, WI 54601 USA
Ph: +1.888.489.9665 ext. 1
Fax: +1.715.318.0775
Cell: +1.715.586.0233
Bad Axe Facebook Updates
mark@badaxetoolworks.com
http://www.badaxetoolworks.com
bat_tape[/cite]

Somewhere I saw ( no pun) it was $275 with the standard handle and hardware finish.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

That was easy. For me, the saw is made of unobtainium. Or at the least, unaffordium.
peter havriluk
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

phavriluk wrote:That was easy. For me, the saw is made of unobtainium. Or at the least, unaffordium.
Gotcha!! LOL
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Looks like a beautiful tool to have hanging on the wall to look at. However, Japanese pull saws are available in fret slot sizes too and once you have used one you will never go back to a push saw.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

phavriluk wrote:That was easy. For me, the saw is made of unobtainium. Or at the least, unaffordium.
If you need an affordable saw for slotting, the Irwin dovetail saw has as the right kerf. I used it until I could afford a commercial slotting jig. I still use it for 90% of my hand sawing needs.

I measured the kerf on mine with a caliper. It's. 022".

IRWIN Tools Dovetail/Detail Pull Saw, 7 ... Hzb6BNCB08
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com