Radius dish with abrasive paper

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
lonecedar959

Radius dish with abrasive paper

Post by lonecedar959 »

Hello

This is a great forum and the you tune videos are outstanding !!! Very informative.

I do have a question.

I am building my first guitar. It is a Stewmac 000 kit. I decided to purchase the Radius dishes to assist with the sanding. The question I have is if you put the sandpaper on the dish does it change the radius? I am new to woodworking so I am trying to learn and wrap my head around this.

Thanks for your assistance.

-Pat
tippie53

Re: Radius dish with abrasive paper

Post by tippie53 »

not at all
your good to go.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

lonecedar959 wrote:Hello

This is a great forum and the you tune videos are outstanding !!! Very informative.

I do have a question.

I am building my first guitar. It is a Stewmac 000 kit. I decided to purchase the Radius dishes to assist with the sanding. The question I have is if you put the sandpaper on the dish does it change the radius? I am new to woodworking so I am trying to learn and wrap my head around this.

Thanks for your assistance.

-Pat
Good question. No, it won t change the relief enough to affect your work.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
lonecedar959

Post by lonecedar959 »

Thanks John and Diane !!!

Appreciate the quick response.

-Pat
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Putting on the sandpaper will change a 15 foot radius to a 14.998 foot radius, more or less. You will never notice. There is nothing magical about a 15 foot radius, or a 25 foot radius, or a 28 foot radius, anyway. You could use 14' and 27' radii and the guitar would be just as good. Even if you built say, the back, to *exactly* a 15 foot radius, as soon as the humidity changed the least bit the radius of the back would no longer be 15 feet.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
lonecedar959

Post by lonecedar959 »

Thanks Geezer

Now that you explain it that way it makes sense. I have many acoustics (Martins, Gibsons, Alvarez, etc...) and every one of them reacts to humidity changes differently.

Thanks

-Pat
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

lonecedar959, how's that 000 coming along? I'm building the StewMac dread. Interested in following your build. We should compare notes. Where did you get your dish ( my next purchase).
Measure Twice,

Karl B
lonecedar959

Post by lonecedar959 »

Kbore wrote:lonecedar959, how's that 000 coming along? I'm building the StewMac dread. Interested in following your build. We should compare notes. Where did you get your dish ( my next purchase).
Hi Kbore

Its going pretty good. I got held up at the x braces - I am a perfectionist and my first crack a the lap joint didn't meet my standards so i'v been doing a lot of "trying it again". I will get past this step this weekend and hopefully get the complete top braced.

I'm having a a lot of fun and learning a lot - its a journey.

-Pat
lonecedar959

Post by lonecedar959 »

Kbore wrote:lonecedar959, how's that 000 coming along? I'm building the StewMac dread. Interested in following your build. We should compare notes. Where did you get your dish ( my next purchase).
Hi Kbore

Its going pretty good. I got held up at the x braces - I am a perfectionist and my first crack at the lap joint didn't meet my standards so i've been doing a lot of "trying it again". I will get past this step this weekend and hopefully get the complete top braced.

I'm having a a lot of fun and learning a lot - its a journey.

I got my radius dishes at Stewmac.

-Pat