Scraping wood bindings after sunburst finish applied

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Oldsoldier

Scraping wood bindings after sunburst finish applied

Post by Oldsoldier »

I am contemplating a sprayed-on nitro sunburst on a current project with figured maple bindings to contrast with the dark sides of the instrument. I've read that it's best to install the bindings and then apply the finish; then scrape the bindings to remove the finish and expose the bindings. I've seen this demonstrated to a good effect with plastic binding, but how will it work with wood bindings? Any tips or precautions?
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Scraping wood bindings after sunburst finish applied

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

There is a similar thread in "building from kits" and here is my reply there:

Saw a documentary on Gibson where they used a sharp knife blade for scraping the binding. I have had great success holding one like I saw in the film:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 44222304/

2 consecutive shots show the technique. I have also used a fresh razor knife blade with a piece of blue tape around the sharpy part to leave the right amount sticking out/

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

A sealer coat or two of shellac on the bindings might not be a bad idea.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

I just watched a video on scrapping bindings on StewMacs site. Funny, I didn't mean to but I added it to my cart while buying some stuff. So I actually own a binding scrapper now. It's for sale. Great video, may be akin to watching a Rembrandt video on how to paint oil on canvas - it looked sooooo easy.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Ty ... raper.html
Measure Twice,

Karl B