StewMac Dread Truss Allen Access

What're You Doing?
Kbore

StewMac Dread Truss Allen Access

Post by Kbore »

I've read several times the StewMac dreadnaught could have issue with truss adjustment Allen head after assy. Anyone chime in on this? Im about to sand a small relief radius in the top of the fat brace closest to the neck block. Other manufacturers do, and I would rather be safe than sorry when its too late. Comments?
Last edited by Kbore on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
RnB

Re: StewMac Dread Truss Allen Access

Post by RnB »

Kbore wrote: I'm about to sand a small relief radius in the top of the fat brace closest to the neck block. Other manufacturers do, and I would rather be safe than sorry when its too late. Comments?
Not so sure if that's a good idea. You want the area pretty much flat above the soundhole. This would include not sanding a radius into the upper transverse brace. If it's the bottom of the brace you're referring to, I don't see any harm?

Read Here: http://theamateurluthier.com/projects/h ... /ps11.html
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

RnB wrote:
Kbore wrote: I'm about to sand a small relief radius in the top of the fat brace closest to the neck block. Other manufacturers do, and I would rather be safe than sorry when its too late. Comments?

Read Here: http://theamateurluthier.com/projects/h ... /ps11.html
Thanks for the reply and the reference. Unfortunately the link will not work. With a little HTML I was able to get to the site, its HUGE! Could you try posting the link again?
Measure Twice,

Karl B
RnB

Post by RnB »

Sorry! This a cut & paste from KM's site:

The first thing I did was to make the jig you see below, to sand flat the 25' radius dome on the top above the soundhole. That way, the fingerboard extension will lie flat upon the top. I decided to make a jig like the one posted on the MIM Forum by Terence Kennedy, in which the sanding plate is the thickness of the fingerboard with frets, and the pivot board is the thickness of the bridge.

It worked well. Later, when I checked out the neck angle and clamped the fingerboard on top of the neck, there was no problem in how the fingerboard extension lay on the top. It transitioned very smoothly from the neck blank surface to the surface of the top.

Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Do you put a radius in the transverse brace (brace above soundhole), in a Stewmac build?

When I build, this brace is left dead flat. To access the truss rod, a hole is drilled through the brace, toward the top side of the brace (not against the top). I'll take a photo and post it for you.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is how you access a truss rod in one of my guitars. A hole is drilled center of the transverse brace. This does not weaken this extremely important brace.

Excuse the photo. The wire you see going through the hole is how I hang up the box to allow it to cure after French polishing. The wire comes through the place where the truss rod will be located.
PicsArt_07-10-05.28.33.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Thanks for the pic!
Another interesting point on the StewMac hot rod truss rod, the Allen head adjuster is slightly larger than the truss rod slot, forcing you to drill a larger hole in the end of the neck where the alen adjustment sits. No big deal, but now, that truss rod can NEVER be removed from the headstock end of the neck. Just a thought for 50 years down the road, and it's not going to be so nice to drill that clearance hole in a precise manner ( truss rod slot already cut in the neck). without a floor drill press, which is not a feature of my shop. Just a note for other builders.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Kbore wrote:I've read several times the StewMac dreadnaught could have issue with truss adjustment Allen head after assy. Anyone chime in on this? Im about to sand a small relief radius in the top of the fat brace closest to the neck block. Other manufacturers do, and I would rather be safe than sorry when its too late. Comments?
If I have the popsicle brace, I end up with some relief in the brace where the truss rod goes through. I usually do it after assembly of the body using a rattail file or a round rasp through access hole in the heel block. Before I glue in the neck or glue the fret board extension to the body on a mortise and tenon I check to make sure that I can adjust the truss rod. As mentioned above I adjust the access with a round file or rasp until I can. Once when I really goofed up I drilled the hole in the upper transverse brace on a closed box. (I do not recommend that mistake, but it came out OK.)
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Thank you johnnparchem for that technique.
Your web site is inspirational, your guitars sound fantastic.
Measure Twice,

Karl B