Cam Clamps!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
kinspeed

Re: Cam Clamps!

Post by kinspeed »

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it.

I guess I need to get some a see how bad they pull the work out of alignment for me. I find that sometimes what works for one guy might not work for another. We all have different techniques.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I think that the problem you mention of pulling things out of position happens with any deep clamp because it is so easy to not get the two faces normal to the surfaces you are clamping - just a little off and the sideways force gets out of hand. Making sure that the clamp aligned will mnake sure that your pieces are aligned.

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes, it's difficult to get an absolutely straight clamping force, no matter what kind of clamp you use. I like to use locator pins when I can, and where it seems necessary, to keep the parts aligned.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

glue that is wet is a lubricant and this causes things to slip and slide. I use a go bar deck. I have a vacuum clamp but I have more control on the deck.
I don't use cam clamps but there is no reason not to. When I glue on a bridge I use 1 and 6 hole to locate. A 10/32 screw works great for this . As the glue dries you can unscrew them. They hold the bridge in position all the way.
I also use the deck for gluing tops and backs on. In the case of a class I will also use the bar clamps. There are many ways to glue things on , just find the way that is comfortable for you.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Sprinkle on a little bit of table salt after you have applied the glue to keep things from slipping around quite so much.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop