Cleaning up HHG

What're You Doing?
Bob Gleason

Cleaning up HHG

Post by Bob Gleason »

The glue thread is getting old, so I'll start a new one. I read over and over on the web that one of the plus things about HHG is it's ease of cleanup. I use HHG on all my bracing and a few other things. I use quite a bit of it. I find it much harder to clean up than Titebond. The little squeeze out gummy worms are enormously annoying. Difficult to pick up. In the end I often have to use more water in a damp cloth to clean up HHG than I would have to use had I used Titebond. Just wondering if there are any tricks I'm missing. My rule is that the inside of the instrument should be as clean as the outside.
MaineGeezer

Re: Cleaning up HHG

Post by MaineGeezer »

If you get it at the right time, when it has gelled but before it's gotten really hard, you can peel it off with a chisel fairly well, leaving very little to he cleaned up with a damp rag.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I agree that it usually cleans up very easy.
I wait about 4 to 5 min then I use a little wood scraper that I can sharpen much like a knife and it comes right up. What strength you using ?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Currently I'm using the Behlen stuff that Stew-Mac sells. I think it is 164. Those worms just don't come off very easily for me. Just as they about ready to come off the rubbery string breaks and I have to chase pieces. I often end up using more water during the clean up than I would like.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I get my hhg from
tools for working wood
https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/sto ... -HIDEGL.XX
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

John- When I first started using HHG, I chased down an actual manufacturer. Don't recall who that was, but they said they made most of the hHG in the U.S. I rattled off a few companies that sold HHG, and they said it all came from them, either packed and labeled by them or packed and relabeled by the seller. Brands may not mean much.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you are correct I know it also comes in different clarities. I know SM was sold 2 years ago. The stuff I get from WW seems different. I had some of the SM stuff but found tools had the supplies and brushes.
I find that in a few minutes the HHG comes right up for me. I do use a glue pot and watch the temp and color.
It may be that your in Hawaii and since your in paradise you need something to remind you of that LOL you know as much or more about this than I Bob
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

John-Living in Hawaii, all of us here that suspect that the Mainland ships us all the old , out of date, junk finish and glues they can't sell on the there. The HHG crystals they send us is probably made from old Pa. luthiers!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob Gleason wrote:John-Living in Hawaii, all of us here that suspect that the Mainland ships us all the old , out of date, junk finish and glues they can't sell on the there. The HHG crystals they send us is probably made from old Pa. luthiers!
HAHAHAHA!!!!

I just bought Behlen from woodcraft. It works great and the boogies come off cleanly. I think it's a matter of correct timing. HHG has a short working time. It took me a little while to figure out how to handle it. With a couple of exceptions, I've decided to use it exclusively for builds and repairs. The pros outweigh the cons.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com