Narex Chisels

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Narex Chisels

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi everyone. I'm in desperate need of a chisel that will hold it's edge. I currently own 2 Marples Blue Chip chisels, but my 5/8" chisel simply won't hold an edge. I bought the chisel a year ago, brand new. From current reviews, I've learned that the Blue Chip chisels just don't hold up as they used to.

So, I'm in desperate need of a really good 1/2-5/8" chisel (15-16mm). As some of you know, I've had hand surgeries on both hands, due to poor tools. I thought the Blue Chip would solve he problem, but it hasn't. After making a top a couple of days ago, my right hand is in bad shape.

So, I've looked through reviews and I've done so much research that I'm confused. I know that Sweden makes the best steel, so I'm keeping an eye on ebay. Newer Swedish chisels go for more than $100/chisel, which is too much for me. I ran into a Woodworking article from 2008, stating that Narex, made in Czechoslovakia, was the best value. Now they have a premium set, with a Rockwell hardness of 59.

I would like to add to my chisels. I own the 5/8" and a 1/8"; I use them daily. But I can see the use for a 1/4", 3/4" and 1", so I would like to find a set. Narex is less than $60 for a 4 chisel set.

Does anyone have experience with Narex? I'm also considering:

Narex premium (made in Czechoslovakia)
Stanley Bailey (made in Sheffield, Eng)
Two Cherries (made in Germany)
Pfeil (made in Switzerland)

Comments?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Re: Narex Chisels

Post by Danl8 »

My last two acquisitions were the Two Cherry chisel and in-cannel gouge, both holding their edges very well. The guy I bought them from is in Ontario and had very strong opinions about quality and practically refused to sell another brand I had asked about. So I went with his recommendation.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

no experience there but
Stanley Sweet Heart
and 2 cherries
here is a nice paring chisel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-TOOLS-VINTA ... SwbtVZVHgG

stanley ( I have this one )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stanley ... Sw~e5ZQARf

The best areas of steel were
Swiss
German
England
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jbjewitt

Post by jbjewitt »

I bought two large Narex - they hold an edge really well. However the back wasn't flat on either one so I had to do some fine tuning.
Other than that, they are pretty well made and have a nice substantial handle.
-Jeff Jewitt-
Jewitt Guitars
www.JewittGuitars.com

Homestead Finishing Products
www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I bought chisels from Traditional Woodworker.......they are german made, probably made in the same factory as 2 Cherries. They have held up very well for me.
I have a 2 Cherries with the S shaped shaft, it is a good chisel but a bear to sharpen.
No experience with Narex though
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Also, if you can find a style you like, I understand the Japanese chisels are very very good....you might check them out.
The higher the rockwell, the longer they will hold the edge, but can be harder to sharpen as well.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've got a couple of the Stanley Sweetheart chsiels, which seem to do pretty well. I like them.

Of course there is Lie-Nielsen http://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4080/chisels but you can buy a perfectly adequate chisel for a lot less money. L-N tools are beautifully made, but I assume you're looking for a chisel, not a work of art. (Although if I had a lot of excess cash just lying around, I'd love to have some L-N chisels.)
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Diane

I have a very nice example of a WWII era, 1/2" Stanley 750 (marked on the socket) that I will sell you for $30 plus shipping. One of the best chisels ever with a blade and handle that L-N copied for their chisels. I put a fresh 25° grind on it and polished the back and the edge to 600 grit. The blade is 5" long and the handle is 3-3/4" - total 8-3/4" - while the L-N chisels are 9". The handle is close to new.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... ed-public/

Ed
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed M
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I have a couple of large Narex chisels. 1 1/4" and 1 1/2".Although I have lots of chisels, Pfeil, various Japanese, vintage U.S. and British, the Narex are pretty much my favorite. I use the large chisels even for delicate work where I can.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks for all of the information. I found a couple of Two Cherries beveled chisels on the Wal-Mart site, sold by outside sellers, for $30 and some change each + free shipping. I bought 2 sizes.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com