A new feature on KGF

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!

A new feature on KGF

Post by   »

String reviews. Periodically and driven by no particular scheduling, Diane K will be giving us her findings on the performance of what we hope will be a wide range of guitar strings. Feel free to comment, share your experiences, ask questions and let Diane know which strings you'd like to see reviewed. We look forward to your participation in this new feature.
-tommy
kinspeed

Re: A new feature on KGF

Post by kinspeed »

I'd love to read your thoughts on D'Addario EJ17's, the standard offering for Collins and Bourgeois guitars.
Last edited by kinspeed on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

kinspeed wrote:I love to your thoughts on D'Addario EJ17's, the standard offering for Collins and Bourgeois guitars.
Thank you. I've had surgeries on both hands and my left shoulder in the past year, so I haven't done reviews. I couldn't play a guitar. I hope to resume soon.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

D'Addario strings certainly have a good reputation. I've discovered though, that the best strings for one instrument may not be the best strings for another. This can be because of personal preference, or because different instruments respond differently to the same strings. While one can make generalities, the only way to find out if a particular set of strings is a good match for your instrument and your playing style is to try them.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:
kinspeed wrote:I love to your thoughts on D'Addario EJ17's, the standard offering for Collins and Bourgeois guitars.
Thank you. I've had surgeries on both hands and my left shoulder in the past year, so I haven't done reviews. I couldn't play a guitar. I hope to resume soon.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you chose not to do both hands at the same time, that could be complicated. Get well soon.

I had surgery on my elbow several years back and was surprised at how foreign it was to use my non-dominant hand for certain tasks, especially during use of the toilet. I'm sure you know what I mean. lol
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

MaineGeezer wrote:D'Addario strings certainly have a good reputation. I've discovered though, that the best strings for one instrument may not be the best strings for another. This can be because of personal preference, or because different instruments respond differently to the same strings. While one can make generalities, the only way to find out if a particular set of strings is a good match for your instrument and your playing style is to try them.
Agreed, but it's still interesting to entertain the opinions of others. I had the opportunity to talk with a luthier who's opinion was that back and side set varieties are only aesthetic, they all sound the same.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I was a Martin string guy for years but I tried the John Peasrse 700M and really like them
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I certainly don't intend to discourage the idea of string reviews -- I enjoy reading them too. But, as the saying goes "Your mileage may vary."
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Strings are a very subjective. What one person loves, another won't. Plus, what sounds great on one instrument, may not sound good on a other. We all have our favorites. The string reviews serve to remind us that there are a plethora of other strings out there, waiting to be discovered.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
LessPaul

Post by LessPaul »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:Strings are a very subjective. What one person loves, another won't. Plus, what sounds great on one instrument, may not sound good on a other. We all have our favorites. The string reviews serve to remind us that there are a plethora of other strings out there, waiting to be discovered.
+1 on that statement. everything is player preference

I practice/perform daddario because of the "player points" or whatever they're called now hahaha. I know it's silly, but they're cheap and I now have some bags/backpacks because of it. When I record I love infeld-thomastik.