The Twins - #s 3 & 4 - 000-28s

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
phavriluk

Re: The Twins - #s 3 & 4 - 000-28s

Post by phavriluk »

Ken,

I've been fortunate, my wife likes the idea that I'm not underfoot, more like underneath, in the basement shop.

And my motive for doing two is similar to yours, save that one of the two is a gift to a son-in-law who got all popeyed at the idea of getting a handmade (no monkeys, at least) guitar as a gift. And I get to make two and keep the one I prefer. And I get to keep the experience and the learning.
peter havriluk
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

My wife loves it too...at least the output! lol. She gets a little testy when certain jobs keep me busy for a long time. Unfortunately, I don't get to keep the one I prefer. I made a deal with myself up-front...#003 is mine; #004 gets sold. I will be picking up the tone wood for #005 on June 5th, and I get to keep that one too!!! It will be an EIR dreadnaught based on the templates that John sold me. After #005, I think they all get sold, unless there is something special that makes me just have to keep them!

V/R
Ken
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're doing a beautiful job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

My 2x4 practice neck worked out pretty good. For $1.50 I got a lot of lessons learned!
Scarf joints aren't too scary
Truss rod channels might be the easiest part of guitar building
Band saws need power to work on necks!
Volutes are easy if carefully planned for
Dove tails are easy, but start big and dial it in. This one would have to be super shimmed!
Don't be too aggressive with the band saw when cutting the profile!
Don't be too aggressive with shaping. Save some for after the fingerboard is attached!

Going to make 1 more 2x4 practice neck before cutting up the mahogany next week.

V/R
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Good job!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

Almost done! Necks are carved. Bodies are sanded, sealed, pore filled and re-sealed! I'm going to spend one more day pore filling and sanding before I french polish, after our family vacation this week.

Out of curiosity, how good is good enough for pore filling? The sapele took it great on the first try (I let it dry for 2 hours before sanding it off as opposed to 10 mins!). But...I want to ensure that the surfaces are perfectly smooth.

V/R
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

More pics
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

All sealed up!
RnB

Post by RnB »

Sweet...! Whose Truss rods did you use...? 1/4" bracing or 5/16".
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

I ordered my truss rods from Martin. I'd have to check...but I believe most of my structural bracing was closer to 5/16 and the rest was around 1/4.

V/R
Ken