Bandsaw suggestions

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Bandsaw suggestions

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

What size and horsepower is optimal for resawing hardwood? Suggestions on brand names.

I've found a Rikon 18", 2 hp for $1499, and a Rikon professional 14", 3 hp for $1599. There is also a Grizzly Extreme series that's 17" and 2 hp for $1050. The Rikon has a 5 year warranty.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Bandsaw suggestions

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

All would be great but I don't think you need more than a 14 in. And 2hp will be more than enough. Laguna makes one now for about $1100. My friend bought one, real nice saw and the table heigth us a little lower too. Might fit you better.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks Kevin
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

If you go the 14" route, you will likely need a riser kit to increase the depth of cut over 6". For resawing hardwoods (maple, cherry, rosewoods), a more powerful motor might make sense and a larger throat depth will make cutting outlines a little easier.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

get the biggest you can afford
Rikon is a good one
Shop fox
Jet
I have a 19 in
grizzly and a shop fox. I have the Grizzly set just as a Resaw
the Shop fox is a better saw.

17 in is the smallest as you have to be able to split at least a 9 in piece

then here is the best place I found for blades.
https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/band-saw-blades
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Well obviously you have to decide how big of a billet, or log you are going to be resawing before you purchase.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I just managed the dissolution of a wood shop for a local widow and sold a like-new 14", 1-1/2 HP Delta for $500. The riser block is about $100. Plenty of these saws on craigslist.

It's mostly in the blade selection - 1-1/2 HP is enough if your blade is sharp and go a little slower. All depends on how much you are going to do - 1 set every 6 months, or 10 sets a week. I pay a local guy $20 to saw a set for me twice a year - cheaper than a new bandsaw and a great social experience too.

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I think Carter has the 16" Jet, which is no longer sold. Jet currently offers a 15" and an 18" in the same style. If you get the 18", I doubt you will ever complain that it is too big, but if you get one that is too small you will be annoyed.

Of course, what one would prefer is often thwarted by the reality of one's bank balance.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kevin Sjostrand

Just to review. My saw is a Steel City, 14" with a 1 1/2 hp motor. It will resaw up to 12.5" high.

I cut up this Sapele Billet......NO problemo, and no help. The saw was plenty powerful. I just recently did two walnut billets, same results.
If you are cutting nothing bigger than this I don't know why you would require a bigger saw.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

one more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.