thoughts on this binding jig?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
darren

thoughts on this binding jig?

Post by darren »

Anyone have any thoughts on this item -either good or bad? Specifically if the dimensions seem right. I have a Fleishman/Williams-style binding router jig on my list of tools 'to build', but can't find the time for it right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crane-Binding-Jig-L ... 3caf4e0358

I have a box waiting to be bound and the stewmac bit/bearings, and figure i have the scrap laying around for mounting the trimmer, but would have to find some uhmw for the doughnut.

feedback on the seller is welcome as well.

thanks ;)
Darren
tippie53

Re: thoughts on this binding jig?

Post by tippie53 »

It is missing some very important parts and is not near complete. The cradle is missing not to mention the mounting system . It is cheap but there is a good bit to make it complete.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Also...I don't like the base...it looks unstable and it appears to have nothing onto which a clamp would hold it to a bench...particularly important when the slides are extended and that spinning lam trimmer bit is screaming for something to eat! :o There's a bit of additional work to do on this so bid cheap!

BTW...who is Crane. I thought Williams & Fleischman designed this jig.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

There are variations of the Williams device floating around the Internet-- this is a variation of one of the variations. If the geometry on the tool head is wrong the thing could be junk -- then again it could be great? Since it can't be test driven my advice would be to let it go.
darren

Post by darren »

Thanks guys... i was wondering about clamping the base down as well. I don't think I'll be buying.

JJ, I think the seller was just describing it as a crane (?) that's how i read it anyway. :D
Darren
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I've decided I'm going to build a Williams style jig before binding my next build. Seems they are the cats meow giving very consistent results. Only thing I don't like is buying the bit and all the different sized bearings.......which is why I didn't build this jig for my first build.
Slacker......
penndan

Post by penndan »

Make your own binding router machine and save a bunch of money. I made this one for less than $25. The cost of a half sheet of 3/4 MDF and some drawer slides from that great luthier supply store - Home Depot. Including a sled.
Yes, rubber bands for springs. Held together with dry wall screws. No donut, just a plastic strip with a bump. I did the binding channels for two guitars last winter. Two kits from Blues Creek.
Slicker than deer guts on a door knob!

Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Penndan, looks like you still need to buy the bit and bearings sized for the combination of binding/purfling you are going to use.......so that has to be included in the cost to use this machine. I like your design and I like the Williams style jig too. Without haveing used either, I would guess I would prefer leaving the body still while moving the router (Williams) over leaving the router still while moving the body (like your design.....forgot the original designer).

Anyone have thoughts on the pros and cons of these two designs?
Slacker......
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

hi Darryl,
I think these two designs (fixed router or fixed body) essentially do the same thing, BUT, only if the fixed router jig has an accompanying cradle that moves easily.

I mounted my tower to a countertop large enough to slide the body around on, that has a little bit of smooth slickness to it. Then I affixed about $8 worth of felt all around the bottom of my cradle so that the guitar would slide very easily in front of my router. I used springs, going both up and down, so that the router freely floats. I'm not fond of rubber bands for that purpose. too much give.

How did your homemade jig turned out? It looked most impressive.
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

I've used both methods. Once I built the Williams jig, I sold the other and never looked back. I feel much more in control moving the router and the results show. My binding channels have become much more consistent and problem-free when I switched to the Williams jig.

One component of each jig that I found to be important is a good quality HDPE donut. Make sure you have a good one which allows the router to be positioned properly.