Classical Nylon Stringed

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
kinspeed

Classical Nylon Stringed

Post by kinspeed »

What are some of the finer designs of classical guitar and are there plans to build them? I've been looking at the 1937 Hauser but would like some other opinions. Thank you!
johnnparchem

Re: Classical Nylon Stringed

Post by johnnparchem »

kinspeed wrote:What are some of the finer designs of classical guitar and are there plans to build them? I've been looking at the 1937 Hauser but would like some other opinions. Thank you!
The Guild of American Luthiers have a whole bunch of classicals including the Hauser 1937, they also have the Hauser 43 and a Jeffery Elliott plan based the 37 and 43. The nice thing about the 37 is you can get molds and bending forms as a lot of people build to the Hauser dersigns.
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

Thank you John! You think that should be the guitar I build then? Do you also think it is the "Guitar of the epoch"?

Anyone else?
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

A well made guitar in the Hauser pattern will give you an excellent instrument and one that many guitarists are familiar with. Same goes for Torres, Fleta, Ramirez, Barbero, Esteso, Hernandez, etc. All of these basically derive from the Torres patterns of the late 1880's and can be used as the basis for an outstanding concert instrument. If you are building entirely from scratch including forms, pick what you like. If you aren't, going with a popular pattern as noted above makes good sense. A specific Hauser was called the guitar of the epoch; a Hauser pattern copy is not likely to garner such acclaim.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

kinspeed wrote:Thank you John! You think that should be the guitar I build then? Do you also think it is the "Guitar of the epoch"?

Anyone else?
Segovia thought so at one time
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

johnnparchem wrote:
kinspeed wrote:Thank you John! You think that should be the guitar I build then? Do you also think it is the "Guitar of the epoch"?

Anyone else?
Segovia thought so at one time
But what say ye, my friend? Or, any of our contemporaries? I know you have built a few classical guitars, I've came across some of your posts on other forums.

Thank you!
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

Danl8 wrote:A well made guitar in the Hauser pattern will give you an excellent instrument and one that many guitarists are familiar with. Same goes for Torres, Fleta, Ramirez, Barbero, Esteso, Hernandez, etc. All of these basically derive from the Torres patterns of the late 1880's and can be used as the basis for an outstanding concert instrument. If you are building entirely from scratch including forms, pick what you like. If you aren't, going with a popular pattern as noted above makes good sense. A specific Hauser was called the guitar of the epoch; a Hauser pattern copy is not likely to garner such acclaim.
Thank you. It's true that I am not likely to build an epoch guitar but it's possible. The proper design could get me half way there. I will have to build from scratch. It is for my Son who likes the traditional body shape. I just want to perform my due diligence on it before undertaking such a challenge.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I think the Hauser 37 and other Torres based instruments are great. They support the nuanced playing of players like Julian Bream, providing rich, fat and emotionally charged tones. Other like John Williams like the clean projecting sound of guitars like Greg Smallmans builds. I built my first classical guitar closely following the Hauser 37 plans and it is a great sounding guitar.