Another fret slotting jig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Stray Feathers

Another fret slotting jig

Post by Stray Feathers »

Time to do the fretboards for my two "first builds". I didn't trust myself to lay it out, so bought a Stew Mac template, and made a mitre box/jig, using ideas from several sources (thanks to those who see their ideas here). The plastic was meant to provide a slippery slot for the saw, but it works fine just as a depth stop. The plastic bits are adjustable using the black knobs and T-bolts. Clamps hold the fingerboard down but I use a spring clamp as well when the fingerboard runs past one of the clamps. The thing sits on a couple of 4x4s to allow that clamp to work, and also put it at a better height. The Pony clamps keep it from sliding back when I pull on the saw. The tin can collects rosewood dust that I can use when dealing with . . . um . . . mistakes. It's not perfect and I may tweak it some but it works pretty well. I cut both fretboards and they seem fine but I guess I won't know until I string them up . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Another fret slotting jig

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Pretty fancy, good for you. Should work just great.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Good idea on the adjustable plastic for a depth stop. When I mad mine, I just made the fence the right height, for all the parts I use, knowing that after a few boards I would need to do something else as the top edge of the fence would wear. Your solution has inspired me to add the plastic. Where did you get it?

Ed
Ed M
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

The plastic is UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight I think) and is often referred to as cutting board plastic, so you could just buy a kitchen cutting board I guess. I bought this (Tivar 1000 brand from Quadrant Plastics) at Industrial Plastics here in Canada but I am sure there are plastics shops near you somewhere. I just bought a cutting, initially to use in a binding jig I posted here some time ago (yes, it's taking a long time to build these first guitars . . .)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7688&p=42088&hilit= ... jig#p42088

The stuff I have is 1/2" which may be thicker than necessary but it was on hand, and it works fine. I have not yet mastered machining the stuff, maybe need a variable speed router? If anyone has experience with this please share your thoughts.

A last thought - wood depth stops might work as well, and be easier to work, and could be freshened up if they showed any wear.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

"The stuff I have is 1/2" which may be thicker than necessary but it was on hand, and it works fine. I have not yet mastered machining the stuff, maybe need a variable speed router? If anyone has experience with this please share your thoughts."

I have cut it with woodworking tools no problem. Band saw works great, and a hand plane takes nice curly shavings. I will have to pick up a garage sale cutting board next time out.

Also, I screwed a foot long piece of 1X3 on the bottom of mine, with the 3" dimension sticking down. It fits in the vice on the face of my bench at a good height and very firmly.

Ed
Ed M