The Twins - #s 3 & 4 - 000-28s

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
twenty2late

The Twins - #s 3 & 4 - 000-28s

Post by twenty2late »

Doing my first scratch builds...a pair of 000-28s, Sapele and Sitka Spruce. All of the Sapele came from the same plank, and I've learned that splitting this stuff open is a LOT of work! But first...had to make another mold so that I can build them side-by-side!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twenty2late

Re: The Twins - #s 3 & 4 - 000-28s

Post by twenty2late »

Sides and backs are split....this weekend everything goes through the thickness sander, and both sets of tops and backs will be jointed and ready to glue. Also...neck and tail blocks are made and numbered (notice the lesson learned on #003!!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

Neck and tail blocks
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

Sides bent nicely! Everything is thicknessed and ready to go. Next weekend...jointing/gluing the backs and tops and putting in the neck/tail blocks and hopefully this kerf linings.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Amazing way to get the sapele resawn, Everything looks good especially the back in your last picture.
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

Haven't updated in a while since I've been so busy. But...boxes are closed and binding/purfling installed! On another note...John's mentioned a couple times to use poplar for practice necks. However, I found that for $3 I could buy a 2x4 and make two practice necks!!! It works out fine since it's just to hone techniques and I don't care if they end up straight/stable. Now...on to building necks!!
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

And...luckily I found a design for this scarf jig!
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

And the tops of the twins!
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I've finished making up all my tooling, and my first project using it all I intend to be a pair of twins. My thinking is that it will take a lot less time and I'll learn and reinforce more by doing a job and then soon afterwards repeating it.

Has that been your experience from bring these twins along?

Thanks very much.
peter havriluk
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

Peter....yes...and no! The pain in the butt jobs become twice the pain. And...since #003 is supposed to be for me, while I intend to sell #004, I find myself spending a lot of time on details with #004. Which then makes me jealous and wishing that I did the same with #003, so I go back and spend a ridiculous amount of hours on #003! It really is instant feedback though for applying to the next guitar, so I would highly recommend it. But beware...the tasks you can typically complete in a night, end up being early mornings/late nights and the wife gets upset!

V/R
Ken