Buy the case before you build the body

Bright Ideas That Work? Tell Us!
Cbstark46143

Buy the case before you build the body

Post by Cbstark46143 »

I learned a valuable lesson on guitar number 3........if you make your own template, bending form, and mold; before you start, make sure your template fits in your intended case.
Guitar number 4 is my version of a Gibson Lg and fits into the case nicely........number 3 is more or less an OM and fits so tight I need a shoe horn to get it in. I'll have to modify the case lining to make it easier to get in.
It seems so intuitive........I wish I had thought of it sooner.
tippie53

Re: Buy the case before you build the body

Post by tippie53 »

that is a fact
Plan ahead and thanks for sharing
jh
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yep. It's also true that all cases are not created equal. I built a guitar, theoretically OM size, that was too tight for an allegedly OM-size case. A different brand OM-size case, however, fit nicely.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

My wife is a guitar widow. When I floated the idea of selling one of my guitars she knew the deal and replied "as long as you don't buy another." So when I bought a case this past winter to get my second build someplace to live prior to closing the box she was upset - even though the parts had been laying plain view for several years!
~ Neil