Serial Number Branding?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
twenty2late

Serial Number Branding?

Post by twenty2late »

What do you all use to burn your model/serial numbers into your neck/tail blocks? I've seen a few ideas online, but they are way too expensive for my wallet! I'm not quite at the point of having a fancy custom branding iron made, yet I'd really like to stop using this rubber stamp that puts extra marks everywhere :-/ Thanks!

V/R

Ken
MaineGeezer

Re: Serial Number Branding?

Post by MaineGeezer »

Short of a branding iron, the best bet is probably number/letter stamps. 3/16" may be about right for a serial number. I've got a set of 1/4" numbers, and they are okay but a bit large.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use a number punch and I've created labels which note my model numbers and serial numbers.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use a number punch
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

Thanks! I have a set of small leather punches. I tried to heat them up...and they melted :-/ Do you put ink on them first? Or just leave them as indents?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Just indents.

Here is 2016 stamped with 1/4" high stamps. I notice that because of shadow weirdness or something, you can make the numbers look as though they are raised up instead of indented. They aren't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

You can stamp the neck block (before you install it), ink the numbers, then sand the surface to get rid of stray color.

Ed
Ed M
jamoat52

Post by jamoat52 »

My first few guitars I just used a sharpie. Not necessarily very fancy but it definately identifies your guitar as unique. Later when I built professionally I bought the "high dollar" custom branding iron.
George