glues lets have a chat

What're You Doing?
tippie53

Re: glues lets have a chat

Post by tippie53 »

I also have done tests with fish glue and tite bond. In the few tests I have done I was more concerned about the joints taking wood fibers and in both cases they did that. I felt the Fish was harder to separate than tite bone.
Much can be about the joint prep. I used a planed joint not sanded. That will make a differences.
As for storing the CHG I use it for about 6 weeks then replace but have done tests with it after 12 weeks and it was still viable. Like Bob I buy the smaller bottles off amazon.
As for CA be sure you clear the nozzle. I use the pipettes for CA. That way then they jam I can make a new end with a pliars by pulling it out and cutting it off.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I just got some fish glue to try. So far, I'm quite impressed. As others have commented, the high tack is great. I haven't tried separating a joint glued with fish glue -- somebody said it can be tricky to separate. If that's the case, I'll continue using hhg to glue on the neck.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

LOL
wipe it off every use
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Phil

Post by Phil »

I'm in the process of figuring out what I need to buy for my next builds and have been agonizing over what glues to use, whether I should give HHG a try or fish or stay with Titebond. I enjoyed re-reading this thread.
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

What is the best HHG to use and any advice on using it? i.e. temperature, work time, application method. Also, would it be wise to use HHG for bindings and purflings? I am not opposed to throwing out any unused glue. I have done a lot of chemical mixing in my time and have thrown out good size portions of them due to running out of time. I just mix up a new batch and get after it again. While we're on the subject, is it best to wipe off the excess with a damp cloth or let it dry and then remove it? I can't remember but I thought one way would cause finish problems and the other would not. Thank you!
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

kinspeed wrote:...is it best to wipe off the excess with a damp cloth or let it dry and then remove it? I can't remember but I thought one way would cause finish problems and the other would not. Thank you!
Just like with titebond it is easier to wipe it off when it starts to congeal than when it gets hard. Hot water helps if a spot is missed for hhg. Hhg is great stuff if a bit fiddly to use. On bindings, titebond or duco cement are easier to use. I've used cold hg for bindings for its long open time, but it still isn't as easy to use.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

just got a bottle of old brown glue. Seems much like the Franlin hide glue.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
kinspeed

Post by kinspeed »

A luthier I had a chance to talk to indicated that he used Titebond Extend elusively. He wouldn't consider using anything else. Anyone tried it? How long of a shelf life does Titebond have? They say 1 to 2 years is, that true?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Titebond Extend, according to the literature, is basically the same as original Titebond but with a longer working time. Based on that, it ought to be as suitable for luthier work as original Titebond, and the choice of one over the other merely a question of personal preference. I've never given shelf life a thought. As far as I know, as long as it comes out of the bottle, it's good.

I've used TB original in the past and never felt particularly rushed by its working time. Lately I've been using fish glue. I use hot hide glue for gluing on the bridge and attaching the neck.

As far as using hhg for bindings and purflings, or for kerfing, I can't imagine being able to work fast enough. hhg has a working time of seconds, I sure can't install a strip of binding or purfling or kerfing in a few seconds.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

after about 20 yrs here is what I can tell you from my experience.
The common wood glues come in 2 basic formulas
A curing glues
B drying glues

Tite bond and other PVA glues are a curing glue and that means once it is "cured" it is never glue again. So if you have a tite bond joint fail , you will have to remove the old glue before adding fresh glue.

Here is one big advantage to the drying glues.
these are typically protein casein glues
Fish glue and Hide glue.
Hide glue both hot and the cold formulas are about the same thing. Also the advantage is that new glue will help reamalgamate the old glue and it can stick to itself. One reason I am not using tite bond for tonal joints. I had stopped using tite bond for tops and backs years ago. Wayne Henderson also uses Fish glue.

PVA is noted for cold creep and I have seen this on may bridges on Martin guitars. I have used a different clamping technique on bridges and will apply glue to both surfaces and clamp for 24 hrs.

HHG is also used but cold glue is the same thing with urea added for open working time.

Now for the BIG NEWS
we started our glue study with Lock Haven university and along with that we are doing sonic testing on top bracing. This will take about a year we expect but we will have good data for you shortly
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc