Planely I may have an addiction!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Planely I may have an addiction!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Okay, so I can't stop! This was a very good deal. It has some rust, but should clean up very nicely.
It is a Millers Falls #8 - same size as a Stanley #3. It is a Type 2 First Production, which means it was made between 1936 and 1941. It has Cocobolo knob and tote which look to be fully intact.
The markings on the iron would indicate an early production for the type as it has the marking of the Type 1 which were made between 1929 and 1936.
I really like these Millers Falls planes, In my opinion they are every bit as good as the Stanleys of the same era, and the later types, even those made after the WWII I think are far better than the Stanleys after the war.
I now have a #8, #9, #11 and a #18. Comparable to Stanley #3, #4, #5 1/4 and #6. I will be looking for a #14, same as the Stanley #5.

Once I get this one all clean and tuned up I'll post some pictures. I have many good winter projects now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Planely I may have an addiction!

Post by tippie53 »

we can help you iron out the problem
sorry for the bad pun but I can't help myself
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Don't stop there - M-F made a whole line of tools including braces, chisels, etc. Their bright red plastic of the 50's is pretty cool stuff

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

I know Ed, I'd like to have a Buck Rogers plane to show off on my plane shelf.

Here is the #8 all cleaned up. I couldn't resist shining up the brass!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

They sure are purdy all dressed up. Did you strip the wood??

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

What I did was take the existing finish down until it was smoother...not perfect, but alot better, but left some of the original lacquer, or whatever it is they put on it, then I shellacked, and steel wooled with wax. I love that finish.
The tote especially is quite dark. I know it is Cocobolo, but it was a very dark piece. The knob is a bit lighter.
I did paint the frog, and repainted the Logo on the lever cap, and some black paint on the base too. No sanding, just wire wheeled the sides and bottom. I used Evaporust on the whole deal. The plating on the lever cap is peeling so couldn't do too much with that, just steel wooled that too.
Kevin Sjostrand

A couple of Monday's ago I picked up two planes at the local flea market.
A Type 10 Stanley #3 in very good shape, no cracks or breaks in the knob and tote, except there was a brazed break in the base on one side. It was done pretty well. $5 I since found a type 9 base and have changed it out. What I didn't realize at the time I purchased the replacement base was the type 9 did not have the threaded hole for the frog adjustment....they added that on the type 10. Not a problem for me, but now it is a combo type plane!!

The other was a size 4 plane made and or sold by Consolidated Tool Works, Inc. in light rusty, very good wood condition. $5. I have since found that these were sold between 1890 and 1925. There is little information on these, but it looks like it may have been made by Sargent. Pretty cool. It will be fun cleaning it up and probably will just display it.
I'll have to take a pic of these and post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

neat like you I also have boxes of them. There is something magical about a sharp well tuned plane. I had a corrigated sole millers falls jointer 7. I gave that to a dear friend . the plane was my Dads and the man was a good friend to him. I know it has a good home
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

I really like the Millers Falls planes. I now have a MF 8 (like the #3), a 9,(like the #4) and a 11, (like the 5 1/4) and what ever the number is for the #6 size....I'll have to look that up again. I have cleaned up the #8, not touched the others yet. They are every bit as good if not better than the Stanleys in my humble opinion.
Kevin Sjostrand

The Stanley #3