Intro - and already in trouble

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
Fly_by

Intro - and already in trouble

Post by Fly_by »

I'm a first time builder who took a long while to decide but finally convinced myself I could build a guitar. I lurked on this site and others, bought "Complete Guide to Building Kit Acoustic Guitars", did some research on the choices, and finally took the plunge - bought a StewMac 000 kit. I stared at it for months but recently completed my first real task which was to glue the tail block. And....

It looks terrible because it isn't perfectly aligned top and bottom on both sides. Now I'm combing the archives trying to figure out how to un-glue it. An inauspicious beginning if ever there was one -

I'm sure I'll be asking for direct help before long so thanks in advance - and if anyone has any recommendations on how to feel less intimidated, I'm all ears.

Thanks -
Andrew Copeland
John J

Re: Intro - and already in trouble

Post by John J »

What kind of glue? A picture or two helps us see what's going on. And mistakes are part of the process.
Learning every day.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

if you used a typical wood glue , separating this isn't that difficult. You need a flexible putty knife or an icing knife. A cloths iron . A little patience.

Set the iron on DRY heat and let warm up. Be be careful of sharp corners of the knife. I buffed mine so the are not sharp.
Apply heat. Keep the iron moving over the area. No need to use water. In a few minutes the heat will penetrate the wood. As the glue heats up it will soften. So give it about 2 min the test the joint at the corner. DON"T FORCE IT. Apply about as much pressure as you would digging out ice cream. Firm but not aggressive. As the heat breaks the bond of the glue you will feel the knife working in. DON"T WEDGE THE KNIFE. Think separator not splitter. Keep the knife as flat as you can and just keep working it in. Hearing squeaking noise is normal. This should take about 5 min or so. Don't rush. Let us know and as I said keep the knife flat and work across the grain with as even pressure as you can
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Fly_by

Post by Fly_by »

Thanks for encouragement and advice on the steps. I feel better already. I used Titebond - which was recommended by the local woodworking shop. I've located an old iron (in the Goodwill bag); have to clean the face first then I'll have at it...
Fly_by

Post by Fly_by »

Here are a couple of pictures...not sure they are attached?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You should be fine. Basic Titebond (not the souped-up versions) should respond to the heat and separate without too much fuss.

As John J said, mistakes are part of the process. I'm building my 3rd guitar now, and on all of them I went through a period when I was ready use the thing for kindling in the fireplace. If it was easy, it wouldn't be any fun. ;-)
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Fly_by

Post by Fly_by »

Got the block un-glued - and it was less than painful that I feared. Now I am trying to clean up the old glue. Using a hair dryer and scraping doesn't seem to be get all of it. Other suggestions?

Thanks -
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

sanding
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Paint stripper -- the lethal variety, not the non-toxic bidegradable safe stuff.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion