My bridge clamping fixture and vacuum pump

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

My bridge clamping fixture and vacuum pump

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I'm pretty excited to have this made so I don't have to call my wife to put her arm inside the classical guitar and stick the clamping caul under the top when its time to glue on the bridge!
I never new I could get this set up for so little $$$$$$. The venturi vacuum generator cost $18 at Harbor Freight. Guys, if you want to do this and you all ready own an air compressor, then this is an effective and super inexpensive way to get your vacuum
The clamp is made from yellow pine for the base, 1/4 plywood for the bezel, #8 by 3/4" sheet metal screws and the 1/32" neoprene sheet. The wood I already had. The fittings from the vacuum generator to the clamp are all from my drip irrigation parts stash, and a couple of pieces of larger poly tubing.
And some 3/8" x 3/16" closed cell door insulation foam. Total cost to make the bridge clamp, about $6.00. So I have a set up for under $25. It is not heavy duty, but since I only glue on about 2 bridges a year, I figure I'm good to go. The foam is cheap if I need to replace it after a couple uses.
The venturi exhaust is very loud, so I put it outside my shop, the door outside is right next to my compressor, and ran the drip line tubing, about 20 feet to the bench, and no problemo, still got vacuum and the noise was now outside. My compressor has a 27 gallon tank and within a few minutes, it kicks on, but that is okay. I am happy! I also made up a quick clamp for the body of the guitar. I can put in my vise and hold the guitar horizontal, or reclamp in the vise on the end, and hold the guitar with the sides up. I forgot to take a picture, but it worked great, and it cost me next to nothing! I''ll fix it up so it is more sturdy and secure, but there you go. Both clamping fixtures and a vacuum pump for about $25.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: My bridge clamping fixture and vacuum pump

a few more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Is the second to last picture of the venturi device?
Kevin Sjostrand

Yep. It was housed inside a red plastic box, the way it comes from Harbor Freight. This is whats inside, no need for the box.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Very nice!
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

John- What kind of glue are you clamping the bridges with, and can you explain the squeeze out cleanup? Also, what kind of finish have you tried this on? I have a great vacuum system that I use for other purposes, but have always been wary of the bridge clamp because it seems like it might be tricky to not damage the finish. Thanks, Bob
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I use LMI glue of titebond. I clamp for 10 minutes with titebond or five minutes with LMI glue take the clamp off, clean the still soft but beaded glue and then reclamp for a couple of hours. I have used it on Shellac, royal-lac and EM6000 water based lacquer.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

john-Thanks for the info. I'm still wary of trying this on lacquer because of the softness. I wait a month before buffing, but the finish is still softer than shellac and waterbase. Guess I'll have to try it on some non guitar test piece. If you ever get a mind to get away from that venturi, I'm sure you'd enjoy having a vacuum system with a reservoir. I made one with parts from Joe Woodworker.com. Still not cheap, but is a great system. Depending on what I'm clamping, it will sometimes hold a vacuum overnight without the pump coming on again.