LaSalle tribute to Gibson Nick Lucas

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
glasalle1

LaSalle tribute to Gibson Nick Lucas

Post by glasalle1 »

My tribute to the late 20's early 30's Gibson Nick Lucas Guitars is finally strung up! this is initial setup, so will let it sit for a week or so, then dial in the setup so she plays really nicely. I still need to check the initial fret work to make sure no buzzing etc, but so far looking good! Cuban Mahogany Back and Sides with hand rubbed subtle burst, Lutz spruce top with hand rubbed sunburst. Madagascar Rosewood Fingerboard, with Brazillian rosewood bridge (the wood color/grain is almost identical).
IMG_6304.jpg
IMG_6306.jpg
IMG_6308.jpg
Thanks for looking!

Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John J

Re: LaSalle tribute to Gibson Nick Lucas

Post by John J »

Very, very nice Glenn. I really like the subtle sunburst.
Learning every day.
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Thanks John,

I really like the faded hand applied sunbursts of the '20's Gibsons. I know its easy to get blotchy, but that is part of the charm. I didn't use any red at all in the burst. I know folks say always test on scrap... and i started to do that. However, I quickly saw that every piece of spruce soaked up the dye differently - actually even within the same top that was true - so I decided to forego the testing and went right at the top. I figured if i hated it, I could always dye black :-).

Glenn
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Glenn

Something to be proud of. What does your label look like - I think I see it sticking out in there

Ed
Ed M
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Thanks Ed,

Here is a pic of the 2 labels I use. the faux aged one I used on my Stella guitar. The picture is from a painting my friend Dean Baer did, and I have hanging on my office wall.

BTW, I have not forgotten about the purflings! Life has just gotten in the way - I will try to get out soon.

Glenn
IMG_6323.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Glen

No rush - please

Labels are one of the fun parts of building - here is the one I put in the Nick I built for my daughter:

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

sweet guitar Glenn. I like it.