Brace Carving Jig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Brace Carving Jig

Post by Bob Gleason »

I've been to Martin a couple of times and the last time I took a bunch of photos. I did not look at the photos for a couple years, but when I did I came across a photo of a woman carving braces that inspired me to make this jig. I had completely forgotten that I had seen it. It makes brace carving much easier. Using it, you don't have to hold the work to keep it from sliding. Many of you may already be using something similar, but I thought I'd share this because I really like it. The photos tell the story. Basically it is just a peg board that allows you to move the pegs at will. It will hold any shape in any position. The underside has a cleat that goes up against the edge of the bench to keep the peg board from sliding. I made mine with 3/4"plywood and 3/4" dowel pegs. Can't remember if I used a spade bit or a Forstner bit to drill the holes, but they both would work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamoat52

Re: Brace Carving Jig

Post by jamoat52 »

nice tool. Wish I thought of it.
George
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Does the board have a radius in it? Seems as though it should.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I like it. I think I'd add a foam rubber pad to accommodate back radiuses.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

The radius does not matter. You are only carving on 1 brace at a time, pushing against the posts and turning the workpiece as needed. Radius is not a problem, and no padding needed.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

a foam pad may sound good but it is counter productive.
I did the same thing as Bob but now I use the rep fence on my table saw.
thanks BOB
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

When I was up in Nazareth in December, the carving station was uncharacteristically empty giving a good look at the board. They were on a reduced work schedule.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

To Diane's comment, another pic from Nazareth showing use of backing material over the jig that is like Bob's in his original post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I think you would want something soft between the top and board to keep from scratching the top. It wouldn't have to be much, a piece of flannel cloth or something like that would do it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion