Resonator

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
ruby@magpage.com

Resonator

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Hey all

Just cut a batch of kerfed lining and made a body pattern, so this is the start of new project - an Ash resonator from a log off a friend's West-By-God-Virginia mountaintop farm. A 30 year old piece of Walnut is contributing the fretboard, end graft, and peghead veneer. I got a leftover resonator cover from Tacoma Guitars from when they used to make them - it has their teardrop pattern on it. The cone is from Beard. I found some rope purfling which I will combine with black/white strips and a tortoise binding. I will use the rope as a rosette around the 9-1/2" hole - something I have never seen before. I got some Kluson waffle back tuners - cheap, I know, but I won't wear them out and they look appropriate to the task. The thin wood for the sides is ready to go, but the neck blank needs another month in my basement kiln - 110° and 20-25% RH. I will finish everything natural, so it is all in shades of brown - and the rope purfling is a good match. There is some Baltic Birch plywood in the shop that will be used for structure and the cone shelf, and I still need a couple of parts from John - truss rod, frets, nut. I am making up some interior details to try for a different sort of sound. I couldn't find a set of plans for wood bodied biscuit bridge guitar, so I got plans for a steel bodied one.

Ready, set, go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Resonator

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ed, looks like a fun project. I don't imagine I'll ever build a resonator.
ruby@magpage.com

I have the rosette installed, sides bent and glued up, linings installed, and back braced
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

I spent an inordinate amount of time on the soundhole grills. They are carved like a basket weave. Then I attached them to the back of the top with magnets for access to the truss rod and the neck joint bolts

Ed
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

Top and back on, closed box. Everything going according to plan so far!

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ed, this guitar is coming get together very well. I really like the grills.
John J

Post by John J »

Very cool!
Learning every day.
Phil

Post by Phil »

The carved soundholes sure are impressive!
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

Someday, far, far in the future, this guitar will be featured in a magazine somewhere. "Blind Bill Booger's favorite guitar is this vintage resonator of unknown provenance..." It's going to look like an old guitar even when it's new. I love all your design decisions!
ruby@magpage.com

Everyone

Thanks for the comments. The 2 things I am done that I have never seen before are the large "rosette" around the soundhole and the wooden grills done this way. I think the rosette is cool enough I can't believe no one has done it yet. Has any one seen this??

Ed
Ed M