12 string falcate braced Ziricote\spruce guitar with video

Post Photos and Link Us to Your Guitars!
johnnparchem

12 string falcate braced Ziricote\spruce guitar with video

Post by johnnparchem »

I built this as a commission, although I told the client that it was an experimental build as it was my first 12 string. I did use a lot of information from the Gore\Gilet books including the bracing pattern and bolt on\off neck design. The body is the Gore medium size steel string. I followed a tutorial from Craig Lawrence on the Australian\New Zealand Luthiers Forum for the 2 string per pin bridge. Richard Woods (Woodsy23 on also on anzlf) modified and ran an existing Finite Element (FE) model he had, for 12 strings load, both light and medium (EJ38s and EJ39s). He determined I would need to increase the height of the falcate braces to 10 mm for the EJ38s and 11 mm for the EJ39s. I ended up with 10.5 mm as I wanted to limit the monopole frequency of the top to keep it in the typical SS range. I ended with 175 Hz top frequency (that I may work to lower to 170 Hz). I have a spectrum analysis with strings at the bottom of this post. I did not measure the bridge rotation under load, but it looks good to my eyes.

The top is Lutz Spruce, back and sides Ziricote.
Bridge BRW, Fretboard EIR, Ebony bindings
rosette, Headstock, backstrap, end wedge, heel cap and side purfling are all Koa.
Finish: EM6000 on zpoxy fill for the body and CA fill and Royal Lac for the neck and head stock.

Last edited by johnnparchem on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John J

Re: finished my 12 string falcate braced Ziricote\spruce gui

Post by John J »

Gorgeous John. A beautiful instrument. I hope it sounds as good as it looks!
Learning every day.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Nice looking guitar. How would you characterize the sound? (fundamentals, overtones, midrange, sustain, etc.)
Phil

Post by Phil »

Beautiful work!
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks guys! Here is an you tube line with my guitar instructor Rob Hampton of http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/ playing my 12 string

Link if embedded player does not work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UebH85F4PAU

Last edited by johnnparchem on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Re: 12 string falcate braced Ziricote\spruce guitar with vid

Post by Phil »

Sounds great!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

John, that is simply wonderful. Your work is precise. The woods are outstanding. congratulations on a superb build.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thank you Phil and Diane

The new owner dropped by my house to pick it up. He was very happy with the guitar and played it for my wife and me for about an hour. It is fun to build for a real player.
angel (377).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.