1st Acoustic Kit Build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
joseph d

Re: 1st Acoustic Kit Build

Post by joseph d »

Made a quick, down and dirty clamping caul...worked pretty good.
Took the clamps off the back this morning. A little glue clean up and I think I can move on to the top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Nice clean work, your top bracing is top notch!
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Thanks Kevin!
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Found some time over the long weekend to glue the top on. I think I used to much pressure clamping the top around the neck block, have some dimples to sand out. Also once I got it out of the form I noticed a slight dimple in the side up at the top bout. Actually have a matching one in the exact spot on the lower bout too but less pronounced. I'll get these sorted and then gonna move on to the binding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

I've heard you can steam out dents in spruce. I haven't tried it myself though. You might avoid thinning your top more than you would like though.
John J

Post by John J »

I have steamed out some small dents. Wet a cloth and wring it out. Heat up an iron. Place the damp cloth over the dent and press the iron over for a few seconds. Check and repeat as needed.
Learning every day.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Thanks everyone that help a lot! Top is looking good now. The one think I'm trying to figure is why the sides ended up with the slight dimples in the bouts. I know what caused the marks in the top. As far as I could tell everything was up tight against the mold...maybe I had too much pressure on the waist expander caul IDK.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Ok seal the top with a real thin shellac.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Got the end wedge in, routed for the back binding and routed for the herringbone. Going to install the herringbone and then route for the top binding I think..