Just a Couple of Repairs

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
Diane Kauffmds

Just a Couple of Repairs

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have a few repairs to make.

With the exception of one guitar that is mine, these guitars are waiting for various repairs. All are Martins with the exception of one are D-18's, and most were built in the 1940's. One was built in 1954 and another in 1961. Most need neck reset. My client replaces all plastic nuts, saddles, and bridge pins with fine grade bone and buffalo horn (for the bridge pins).

A couple have cracks that need to be dealt with. With the rain and flooding in West Virginia, I bought a dehumidifier for the workshop to maintain ~50% rh. I opened the cases a little bit to dry out the guitars but I just got a guitar rack so I can take them out of the cases safely and put them into the rack.

I know you can't see it, but each case has a pad under it to protect it, and the guitars are actually leaning against a short work table, so they're secure and can't fall over or out of the cases. They'll go on the rack today.

On top of what's photographed, I have the 1931 OM-45 Authentic build. I've been working on the 1954, which unfortunatly, needed to be stripped. Someone put a gallon of polyurethane on it, and decided that it looked so good, that a second gallon would make it even better. They made sure that the top had a few extra coats.

It was so much fun to strip! The photos show the stripped guitar, which is now awaiting a neck reset, finish and set up.
20160706_122652.jpg
20160706_122654.jpg
20160708_140139.jpg
I also have 2 Gurians that only needed good set ups. I think it's time to expand the workshop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Just a Couple of Repairs

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've got the adhesive for the pickguard off of the guitar now.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Phil

Post by Phil »

Looks like you're keeping busy!!!
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Holy Cow Diane. How did you get your name out there enough that you have this many interesting instruments to work on?

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Holy Cow Diane. How did you get your name out there enough that you have this many interesting instruments to work on?

Ed
Ed, believe it or not, it came from selling my first guitar to the right person. He's a collector of vintage Martin's and "up and coming " luthiers.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have a couple more incoming. I'll let you know what I find.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars