A rare and unique hand plane find today

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

A rare and unique hand plane find today

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Got this plane this morning at the local flea market. Never seen one like it before. The iron has Taylor & Lyon on it. It is in really great shape, but obvious that the tote has a break in it since it's taped up. Quite unique and different than the Stanley style planes. Patented date on the iron is July 4, 1876.
Little bit of research shows this was probably made after 1888 because of the molded rubber tote.

Ed, what can you tell me about this plane??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A rare and unique hand plane find today

another pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kevin

Those are interesting planes. The originals had nickel plated totes and knobs and are beautiful and worth a fortune. The second version that you have has a rubber handle (real rubber) and drops way down in value. These are usually marked "improved". Later they did a wooden handle and they are worth less. I have 2 of the #4 size - one with a wood handle and one with a replacement so no telling what was on it. I also have one of their #30 block planes.

Here is the site of a guy I always go to for a price check. I usually take 2/3 of his price to be what I could get for something:

http://www.jimbodetools.com/cart.php?m= ... ch=chaplin

Look how beautiful one with the metal handles is. The block plane is like mine, and the one with the rubber handle is a #5 size of what I have. Neither of mine has a Chaplin's marked blade, but both have a D R Barton blade. Barton supplied blades to many plane makers and I have to think these blades are original

Here is a site of a guy I am an internet buddy with - he is in Australia and is a bookbinder - they have some of the coolest tools going. He is a collector of these things.

http://www.petermcbride.com/chaplin/

Nice find in good shape and you are on your way to owning way more tools than you can possibly use - me too

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I just made a shooting board. I picked up an older Stanley Baily #6. Tuned it up and sharpened it. Took about 3 hours to clean the rust off. The Japaning looks good yet.
I love these old planes. I must have 50 of them. Keepem sharp .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks Ed. I've found the McBride site, very helpful information. I pulled the tape off the tote and there was just a separation of the molding seam, no missing material (whew) so I ran some CA in there, clamped it up, sanded with some 1500 grit paper and it looks great! I cleaned up the sliding mouth a bit so it works smoothly.
It appears these go anywhere from $100 to $175 on Ebay depending on condition. This one is really very very good for the age it is. I'm excited to have it and will most likely keep it. I did sell 3 planes to some fellow builders on another forum to finance my work bench build (my wife says my "hobbies" must remain self supporting), but I will continue to collect as I find them. If I had more time I'd do yard sale looking but no time for that.

John, 50 planes, really? I think Ed may have you beat. Ed, how many planes in your collection? I probably have 15, but some are still in boxes waiting to be worked up.
I have a half dozen handmade wooden planes too.
ruby@magpage.com

A friend says "never park your tractors in a row" so your wife can't see them all in one place. I have perhaps 100 down there but I have been weeding them out over the last couple of years. Just got a Stanley Type 1 circular plane, #13. First one I have seen in the wild.
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

just had a friend send me a stainley #7 and stanley handyman and a wooded swedish plane. I will put the #7 back to work
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Sweet. I like friends like that!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Very nice catch Kevin. I love flea market finds.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Kevin

Just realized that I put in the URL wrong:

http://www.jimbodetools.com/cart.php?m= ... ch=chaplin

Ed
Ed M