Workbench is done.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Workbench is done.

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I finished my bench yesterday, put a few coats of danish oil on it.
The bench ended up 66 1/2" long, 25 1/2" wide, and 37 1/2" tall. Made entirely of douglas fir two x fours, except the shelf below is yellow pine
The two vises are Grizzly cabinet makers vises. The quality is okay, especially for how I will be using them. I did not use hardwood for the wood jaws, just more DG here.
I will probably put some leather facing on them. I do still need to drill some 3/4" dog holes in the top, but will do that later.
Total cost to build, including the glue...$268, and A LOT of labor, but it was a fun process. The top is not pristine, but it is going to get banged and scraped anyway, right.
Thanks for watching along as I built it, hopefully I'll be back on the guitar build soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John J

Re: Workbench is done.

Post by John J »

Looks excellent. Hope you enjoy using it for years to come.
Learning every day.
JVan

Post by JVan »

Very nice work Kevin!
LeftyAl

Post by LeftyAl »

that looks great.looks solid as a rock
Kevin Sjostrand

I bought an old oak Credenza. Picked it up on Saturday and got it cut into two pieces. Thick oak veneer over particle board, except the two ends are solid oak. The thing ways a ton.
Anyway, here is the before and after pictures. The 3 drawer section actually came apart with screws, then I just had to cut the top and back, and reattach the left side to the bigger section. The top cutoff screwed to the top of the 3 drawers and I was done.
This gives me just what I needed in the space I had. Not bad for $50.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Beautiful job on the workbench. I like the re-purposing of the credenza.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Some pics of the shop area NOW with the new bench after eliminating one other bench and moving some stuff around.
Kevin Sjostrand

And the credenza
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The new bench fits well in the shop. It great to see how nicely it turned out. Also how much work goes into building a substantial bench.