1st Acoustic Kit Build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: 1st Acoustic Kit Build

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Nice neat work.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Found some time to work on this today. Made a couple of radius templates and started messing with the braces, At this rate I may be done by Christmas....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by joseph d on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

That's a good looking jig. Your bracing should come out nice.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Thanks Diane, I had some longish scrapes so I thought why not...
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

So I started prepping the rims for top & back gluing. Back - no problem, not much to be concerned about. Tried prepping the top following the BCG vids. The top geometry is giving me some doubts...
Used a 28" dish and chalk. Sanded down till chalk was only left from about the neck side of the sound hole to around where the bridge will be.
If I recall correctly the vid says this should get me close to the correct neck angle?? Measured the neck block angle with a protractor I'm coming up with close to 4 degrees. I believe that I should be shooting for 1.5 degrees at the neck block angle.
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...will have to revisit the video again.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

So I started prepping the rims for top & back gluing. Back - no problem, not much to be concerned about. Tried prepping the top following the BCG vids. The top geometry is giving me some doubts...
Used a 28" dish and chalk. Sanded down till chalk was only left from about the neck side of the sound hole to around where the bridge will be.
If I recall correctly the vid says this should get me close to the correct neck angle?? Measured the neck block angle with a protractor I'm coming up with close to 4 degrees. I believe that I should be shooting for 1.5 degrees at the neck block angle.
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...will have to revisit the video again.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Slowly coming along. Had to make a new brace - I glue the longer of the 2 tall braces at the waist and the remaining brace was to short to go all the way across the top. Decided no more gluing up at 2AM in the mornings...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

BACK GLUE UP.jpg
TOP BRACING.jpg
Ok - got the top bracing done and notched the top and back rims. Got the back gluing up..
John J

Post by John J »

Wow. You're really coming along. Your bracing looks very clean and shaped nicely. I've also had to stop myself when it gets late and the chance of a mistake increases.
Learning every day.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Thanks John! Yeah I make mistakes all the time. I make bigger ones late at night ;)