Neck scarf joint - which way?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Stray Feathers

Neck scarf joint - which way?

Post by Stray Feathers »

I'm about to start on necks and I'm confused after seeing here and elsewhere builders gluing neck scarf joints differently. Some glue the peghead to the underside of the neck, others glue the neck to the underside of the peghead. Is there a right or wrong to this? These will be mahogany slot heads with veneer tops, and it seems 15 degrees is pretty standard for the headstock angle.
MaineGeezer

Re: Neck scarf joint - which way?

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've wondered about that too. I've never made one, but in thinking about it I decided that the strongest way to do it would be to glue the headstock piece on top so the fingerboard would get glued over it. It also seems to me that less of the joint surface will get cut away when shaping the neck if it's done that way.

Whether any of that thinking is valid I leave up to those who actually know what they are talking about!

Whichever way one does it, one could inset a couple strips of carbon fiber across the joint to strengthen it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

This is how I glue mine up. the scarf joint ends up being in the middle of the head stock. I have both a face plate and back plate to strengthen the joint. I sand in a volute and it ends up looking like the second pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

It seems the most common approach is like yours Tim - that's the way it is done in books by Cumpiano and also Sloane. I am also using Jonathan Kinkead's book, and he glues a piece of the neck material on the underside, like stacking the heel, and then cuts the headstock as if it were being cut from a solid piece. That runs the scarf across the middle of the peghead and also seems to use more wood. I think I will go the "conventional" route, but this thread on the forum (and others elsewhere) had me wondering: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5824&p=28491&hilit=scarf#p28491

Bruce
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have seen them done both ways. When you think about it , you have a large gluing surface and that is where the strength of this joint lies. Capping it with a veneer add a great deal of strength.
I have done them both ways in my early days and the necks are solid still after 18 yrs
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Sunset

Post by Sunset »

Gluing the peghead to the top of the neck and then gluing the fretboard onto the top of the joint may provide a more secure method in that the fretboard is thicker than the face-veneer method that is used for strengthening the joint when the peghead is glued to the underside of the neck? Many headstock veneers can be thinner than fretboards. Just a thought.