Building a workbench

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Building a workbench

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

A lot of progress made Saturday, the top is all joined, but not yet surfaced. The base is assembled, still have to trim off the pegs that pulled the mortise and tenon joints tight and do some sanding. Next I will hand plane the bottom of the bench top flat where it will set on the trestles and bore a couple of 1" holes for locating dowels, then I can flip it all over and start flattening the top, lastly trimming the ends off to bring the top to 66". The top as is weighs 100lbs, so it will drop a little after planing and trimming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linus

Post by Linus »

Very nice work.

In the last picture with the base sitting on top of the "top" (upside down) is the base attached? If so, can you share the reason to have the base offset to one edge of the top?

My workbench works well for me but consists of workhorses with plywood sheets screwed to the top. Not very sexy but I don't mind drilling or sawing into it. When it gets too beat up I just replace the plywood. But your workbench looks amazing.
Kevin Sjostrand

The base is not yet attached, just sitting on there. I will plane a flat area for each trestle to rest on and then drill a 1" hole for an opposing dowel to fit in, this will locate the top on the base. I've got holes predrilled in those trestles so I can run some long lag screw up into the top if needed.
The overhang is to accommodate an end vise. I need about 17" but the vises will be here Friday and I will wait until then so I can lay the vise out and see what I really need before I do the final positioning. There will also be a face vise on the left front when all done.
Kevin Sjostrand

Last night I plane the bottom of the top flat where it would set on the trestles, and where the face and end vises will be mounted, then drilled for two 1" dowels which position the top on the base. Eventually I will also be putting in lag screws to secure the top. The bench as it sits is 37 1/4" high.
So it is now ready for the top to be flattened. I've got to get my Bedrock #605 iron scary sharp for this procedure and it will be a workout. I will be taking off 1/8" to 1/4" of material I'm guessing when said and done.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kevin

Looking good. Two things:

Count on weighting the left side of the bench or it looks like it may tip if you lean on the right side. Good place to store your collection of #8 planes, or a box of sand works well too.

You won't have to take off anywhere near 1/4" - in some places it will be zero or may leave a small area low so you don't have to take the entire top down to match it. At worst, there will be a high corner that needs 1/4". Remember your winding sticks and long straight edge - a straight 1X4 works.

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks for the tips Ed. I think the balance is going to be okay as I can put a lot of my weight on the overhang now and not lift the other end, but I'll find out when its done. The plan is to have a cabinet underneath that weighs about 60 lbs.

Spent a couple of hours last night hand planing the top flat, then used the orbital sander on it....that made it look better but it is probably not as flat now :( Oh well, it looks nice.
The finished thickness of the top is right at 3".
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed, what method do you suggest for cutting off the ends of the top?
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I would be tempted to use a sharp 8 point crosscut saw and stand on a short stool to get you up high enough. If that is too much work clamp a board down as a guide and use a circular saw. Lower the blade 1" or so at a time and take it in a couple of bites, last cut with the teeth just barely protruding from the bottom of the workpiece. A VERY sharp low angle block might clean it up a bit if needed, but take your time and it won't be.
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Very busy weekend, only had a couple of hours yesterday to work on the bench, but I got the ends trimmed....Yah! Placed tape over the line I was going to cut, used my circular saw and made 3 progressively deeper passes down to 2 1/2", then finished off with a hand saw. It came out pretty good with just very minimal hand planing to do. I have two Grizzly cabinet makers vises sitting ready to mount and I made up the chops for the vises also, so I'll be working on getting those mounted this week.