Workroom Ideas

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Workroom Ideas

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's become necessary to have a bonified workroom. Working out of 4 gym bags filled with tools, plus 3 more tool boxes, doesn't work anymore.

My husband has a work area in the corner of the basement. He's walling in this area, so the room will be 8' x 14'; my "wall" area is 7' x 8' with another 5' on the adjacent wall. The 7 foot wall will have my workbench, which is 4' long and 2' wide, with a pegboard behind it,a 22" fluorescent light above it, outlets on both sides, 2 drawers under it and a shelf under it. I'm going to install a thin piece of pipe, under the bench, on both sides, to hold my clamps. I've also gotten an adjustable shop chair with a foot ring.

I'm thinking of putting a second table along the 8' wall with shelves above.

So my question is, what is the most important organizational item in your shop or work area. What do you consider the most important?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Re: Workroom Ideas

Post by MaineGeezer »

When it comes to organization I am fairly hopeless, but I can tell you what is most DISorganized in my shop -- the random wood I've accumulated. I need to figure out a way to deal with that.

Another problem area is sandpaper -- I need a system to keep track of what types I have and how much.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I found that for my work routines a centrally located bench is a wonderful thing, not benches against walls. I put bookcases working as shelves against walls, and have used them as inexpensive dividers that can hold a whole bunch of stuff.
peter havriluk
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

This solved my sheet sandpaper organization (I got it on sale with a free shipping too so it made it more affordable to purchase).

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Tray- ... tand/D2927
Tim Benware
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Tim, I bought just such a sandpaper safe from Grizzly when I was on a road trip a while ago. Biggest single shop space saver I ever bought. One square foot of footprint, and even that is recovered by parking something on the top of the safe. And it controls the scatter of sandpaper all around. Wonderful bit of shop furniture.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Ben-Had wrote:This solved my sheet sandpaper organization (I got it on sale with a free shipping too so it made it more affordable to purchase).

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Tray- ... tand/D2927
Thanks!

I forgot to add that I have a 10 drawer cart that I can wheel around with me to store the sandpaper, tracing paper, chalkowax transfer paper, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MaineGeezer wrote:When it comes to organization I am fairly hopeless, but I can tell you what is most DISorganized in my shop -- the random wood I've accumulated. I need to figure out a way to deal with that.

Another problem area is sandpaper -- I need a system to keep track of what types I have and how much.
I'm going to the Habitat for Humanity Restore to see what I can pick up to solve this problem. Thanks for reminding me.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

phavriluk wrote:I found that for my work routines a centrally located bench is a wonderful thing, not benches against walls. I put bookcases working as shelves against walls, and have used them as inexpensive dividers that can hold a whole bunch of stuff.
That's a good idea. I'll take a look at doing this. I do have to share the shop area with my husband and I don't want to impede his area. Having said that, I have a second 4' x 2' table that can be centrally located for both of our use.

Good idea.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I remember about 3 or 4 years ago John H. telling me you never have enough space and that is pretty close to being right. I bought a property 2 1/2 years ago and converted the oversized 2 car garage (25' x 27") into my shop and I'm quickly finding I'm getting cramped.
Tim Benware
John J

Post by John J »

"A problem area is sandpaper -- I need a system to keep track of what types I have and how much."

Here's my solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.