New guy from Florida

New Members, tell us a bit about yourselves
jmforge

New guy from Florida

Post by jmforge »

Greetings from the Tampa Bay area. I am a maker of sorts of other things like custom outdoors and kitchen knives, damascus steel and such and have owned a number of fine guitars over the years. (notice I didn't say that I played them well) and have been smitten with the idea of maybe building a not so fine one to see if I like it. :lol:
tippie53

Re: New guy from Florida

Post by tippie53 »

you will find that we are here to help. Welcome
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Give it a try. You may surprise yourself with the quality of the guitar you build. As John (our esteemed host) says, it's relatively easy to build a good-sounding guitar. It's more difficult to build a beautiful, perfectly finished guitar. Not to say that building a guitar, of any quality, is easy.
Fortunately, the egregious finishing blunders are most obvious only to you. I'm sure I see flaws in the two guitars I've built that nobody else would notice, except possibly another builder, and since they have done the same or worse, they tend to keep quiet. <grin> Or are sympathetic.

And both my guitars sound better than I ever anticipated they would.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jmforge

Post by jmforge »

Thank you for the warm welcome. folks. So now i guess i will be off to the Beginners Questions subforum. :D
JLT

Post by JLT »

I can't say that I know the Tampa Bay area well, but my folks lived up in Port Richey for about twenty years, and my nephew Will Rossiter still lives in the area. (I hope the Pappas's restaurant is still around in Tarpon.) You've got a great guitar-making climate there, as long as you stay on top of the humidity situation.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I lived in West Palm Beach for several years, before moving to Cincinnati, then West Virginia.

I hope you decide to take the plunge to build a guitar. I think you'll find it satisfying, especially the first time you play it. I hope you have fun in the forum and don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com