Another Fleischman-Williams Binding Jig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Stray Feathers

Another Fleischman-Williams Binding Jig

Post by Stray Feathers »

As a beginner I was a little daunted by doing the binding channels for my two "first" guitars. With the Canadian dollar worth a lot less, I couldn't afford to buy one of the fine looking jigs available. So I took a lengthy detour and made a close copy of the Fleischman-Williams jig using information posted by Williams and others. It was a lot of work but looks good. I did a couple of things perhaps differently so am sharing them in case anyone is considering this project. I used 1/2" UHMW plastic for the parallelogram side plates as the recommended phenolic was a special order. It seems a good alternative because it has some self-lubricating qualities. I used nyloc nuts on the bolts that run through the parallelogram arms so the tension can be adjusted somewhat. The bolts were rubbed with wax for a bit of lubrication. I added a one inch strip of plywood glued to the back of the plate that the router base is screwed to - this allows a couple more screws for rigidity. For the "donut" I used 2" UHMW "dowel". I clamped it vertically (using a Workmate) and profiled the end with a roundover bit (easier than I thought) then cut the profiled end off to the right thickness. This was located carefully on the new UHMW router base plate and screwed from behind. The base was screwed to plywood so it could be clamped in the drill press. Then I drilled a 1 1/4" hole through the donut and base plate. I used a spade bit (Speedbor) which was quite slow on my little drill press - a better bit would be faster and probably safer. If the donut is not quite right I can make another. Lee Valley is a good source: Got the 12" Lazy Susan bearing there (Oshkosh brand).They also carry knobs etc. for the cradle but a good deal is a kit they sell with a variety of knobs, T-nuts, etc., their part # 12K7990. I bought their small rabbeting router bit with extra bearings too, but have augmented this with a few more bearings from Stew Mac. When they arrive I can put the whole shebang to the test.
_DSC2040.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Another Fleischman-Williams Binding Jig

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Your machine looks really good. One thing I think I'm seeing is the opening in your donut for the bit to come through may be a big large as you really want the edge of that donut to just ride on the ledge of the guitar, maybe no more than a 3/8" or so. Not a problem on the top, but it can be an issue on the back with the bigger radius and the slant toward the neck. It seems you might be riding farther in on the top and back the way you have it, but then It may be fine, and it just looks bigger than it is?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

should work fine
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Kevin, the reason the opening is that size (1 1/4") is that the bit is 1" and Bosch specifies at least 1/4" larger than the bit for the hole. But I see what you are getting at, and it did occur to me that I could have rounded the donut less, leaving more of a shoulder for the donut to ride on (though that doesn't change the hole size.) As I mentioned, if it doesn't work right, it is not a big job (easier than I imagined) to make another donut with less roundover and more surface to ride on. I hope to try it out in the coming week, international mail permitting (waiting for bearings from StewMac) - Bruce.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ohhh, okay, well that explains it and now I see why. I couldn't see the bit I guess. You did a great job on the construction.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Just a note to say that this tool worked as planned, though it did take a little getting used to - mind you, I was cutting my first binding rabbets on my first guitars. I had a problem (don't know why) with both my guitars having sides not uniformly perpendicular all around, so I had to fine tune by setting parts of the guitar so the side was perpendicular and then cutting. The cuts were more accurate and I was pleased at how well the jig worked when faced with this abnormal problem.

The Stew Mac bearings I ordered would not fit the Lee Valley bit set I bought. So I also bought the Grizzly set that added a bit, some more bearings plus bushings so I have a lot of possible combinations now - and less money in my pocket . . .
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Nice job! Very well made.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wow! Very Cool.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com