Another hand plane find

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Another hand plane find

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I got these two block planes this morning at the local flea market, $5 each. The Stanley 220 is common, but this on is in very good condition and will clean up very well.
The Stanley 60 1/2 is in fair condition. The lever cap lever is missing and the shaft of the adjustment screw above the threads is slightly bent and the cap will pull off. The threads seem to be okay. I can fix this and it will be a good using low angle adjustable plane.
Just what I needed, more planes to fix up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Another hand plane find

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've got the same planes; we found them in the basement after my Grandmother passed away. Or I guess I should say, I have the same plane. The other is unmarked, with a red lever cap; but it has a stanley iron.

I love old planes. I'm a plane, wood, and "anything-that's-mechanical-and-vintage" addict. Recently, I've gotten 2 old typewriters in great shape. One is 78 years old. It's great hand and finger exercise. Haha.

I like your planes!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kevin

Try this guy for parts;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/nhplaneparts/m. ... pg=&_from=

He isn't cheap, but he might have it. No affiliation, yada yada yada

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed, would you know if the adjusting screw from other models of Stanley block planes will work on the 60 1/2?
That guy has a bunch of them from the 140 skew plane.
ruby@magpage.com

If you mean the screw that is in the center of the hole in the blade and that the cap rides against, send me your address and I will mail you one.

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Not that one, but the adjustment for the blade depth, with the knob at the back. My knob is okay, and the threads are still okay, but worn some, and the unthreaded section is slightly bent so I was thinking about changing that threaded rod.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin, you mean the knurled knob? I have a couple of 60 1/2, if I'm not mistaken. I don't use them and I can send you the adj. screw or knob.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Kevin

I would take Diane up on that as they are very hard to come by in the wild. I was looking through the spares box and found this one that I can send for $10 plus shipping - the body is no good but everything else is fine. The shiny black one is one of my users for comparison. The rust you see will clean - I don't believe there is any pitting on anything:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Wow, a couple of choices.
Thanks Diane and Ed.

My lever cap is missing the lever. I was thinking of pulling one off a Dunlap 220 type plane I got for cheap if it will work, but getting the whole cap complete sounds better.
So I need the threaded adjustment screw and the lever cap, my knob is okay.

What's my best deal? :0)
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed, have you ever seen a standard block plane, like a 220 converted into a rabbet plane? I wonder if the iron would be sufficiently supported for very light duty work.
It seems those old rabbeting planes are worth more then they should be.