My latest hand plane revival

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

My latest hand plane revival

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I picked up this Bedrock plane off Craigs List last summer. It is a 605, type 4 made between 1908 and 1910. It was all there, no breaks, cracks, not even rust pitting.

The top of the tote was broken off and the tote body was broken apart down low. The knob had two places with chunks missing at the base.

I decided to keep it pretty much as is, so I didn't de rust it, just wired brushed everything then washed it in alcohol oiled the parts, sharpened the blade and made sure the iron and chip breaker fit together properly.

I took the bottom off another broken tote turned it over and glued it to the top of this tote and shaped it. I thought it was also a rosewood of some type as it was quite dark and it came off a bailey #4 from the 1920's, but as you can see it is a lighter wood, maybe even mahogany. I'm really please with how it turned out and it kept a look befitting its age, 100 years old, and, it cuts like a dream so I am happy as a lark.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: My latest hand plane revival

and the finished plane
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice I love these old planes.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The plane looks great
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

nice job on the tote

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks Ed, except its the wrong color!!! That pin hole was there, thought I'd leave it, it is probably 100 years old as well.
By the way, while I was hand sanding the tote, I noticed the sawdust smelled quite sweet. Could this be a Brazilian rosewood tote?
I imagine back in that day, it was probably as cheap as any other rosewood. Does this mean that I can't take the plane out of the country without the risk of my plane being confiscated bye the Lacey Act police? (ha ha)
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Yes it is Brazilian Rosewood and that smell is distinctive - other rosewoods just don't have it. That is an early Bedrock with the solid frog bedding. The later ones, after about 1910, have flat sides to the body and have a couple of extra screws under the frog ahead of the tote that allow you to loosen the frog for adjustment without taking out the blade. This is of dubious benefit because I find I have never adjusted a frog after getting it to where I want it. Good find.

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks Ed, it was a good find. The guy also had a modern day Stanley #5 and he wanted twice as much for it as I got this one for. He didn't know what he had. :)
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Oh man. You know I'm an old plane freak Great pickup Kevin! They really don't make them like they used to, unless you spend $200+ for a plane. My oldest planes are those that I found at my Grandmother's house after she passed. One is a 6" Stanley block plane. Another is a 6" block plane, but I can't find anything on the body to tell me who made it. Another is a bench plane that's old with no marks.

You did the right thing by just doing a normal cleaning and maintenance to preserve the patina.

I have a couple of new planes, but my favorites for every day use are the 2 old planes. They aren't antiques, but they're great planes that I picked up off of Ebay and I love them.

The plane that I pick up every single day when I'm building is my English made Sheffield Stanley G12-60 low angle block plane with the adjustable throat. It powers through the gnarliest of woods like butter. For larger jobs, like a top or bottom plate I use my USA made Craftsman smooth plane, made just after WWII. Both came in their original boxes with the original paperwork, and looked like they'd rarely been used.

But, the really old antiques are the greatest. Congrats.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com