Changing neck width

Bright Ideas That Work? Tell Us!
nehsgolfer

Re: Changing neck width

Post by nehsgolfer »

The frets are already out of the fingerboard so removing the fingerboard and adding a binding and new frets will be similar to putting the neck and fingerboard together to begin with, don't you think??
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MaineGeezer wrote:Why not forego the trimming and just use 1/32" (or thereabouts) binding? LMI sells maple strips 0.035" thick by 1/4" wide (PF1)
http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-woo ... fling-trim

You'll probably want to extend the frets as well, so it will also be a re-fret job.
I was thinking the same thing, especially if the existing fretboard is made of a preferred wood like ebony, or if it has intricate inlay. But if it's a common fretboard, I would replace it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
nehsgolfer

Post by nehsgolfer »

Got the fingerboard off and it's in pretty good shape. If I wanted to get a new one, any suggestions where I might one for a Yamaha FG-230 12-string???
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

nehsgolfer wrote:Got the fingerboard off and it's in pretty good shape. If I wanted to get a new one, any suggestions where I might one for a Yamaha FG-230 12-string???
you need the width at the nut, width at the neck, and scale length, rather than model. I'm sure you already know this, but the scale length is the distance between the fretboard edge of the nut, to the saddle, down the center. I looked up the guitar model and found that it should be a 25" scale length. However, please verify this measurement!

LMI might be able to make this finger board for you. I would contact them and check. If not, I may know someone who can. Send me a message if LMI can't do this scale length. I would offer to make you one, but I'm about to have hand surgery.

Updated post:

I went to LMI's website and they do 25" scale lengths, so they can make you a fretboard. Like I said, double check that scale length to make sure, but here is a reference chart: http://www.lmii.com/standard-scales. Just click under Tools and Services ---> Shop Services for more info.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

LMI does a great job. They will slot and radius a fretboard to your specs for $18 which, having done one myself, seems eminently reasonable. You can order a fretboard blank from them and specify the radius and scale length. You will then have to cut the sides to the appropriate width and taper.

Or, you can even send them your own fretboard blank (before profiling the sides) and they will slot and radius it to your specs and send it back. I did that for my 2nd guitar.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MaineGeezer wrote:LMI does a great job. They will slot and radius a fretboard to your specs for $18 which, having done one myself, seems eminently reasonable. You can order a fretboard blank from them and specify the radius and scale length. You will then have to cut the sides to the appropriate width and taper.

Or, you can even send them your own fretboard blank (before profiling the sides) and they will slot and radius it to your specs and send it back. I did that for my 2nd guitar.
I would do what MaineGeezer says about sending LMI the fretboard, however I would still double check to make absolutely sure that the frets are spaced correctly. There are too many commercial guitars with incorrect boards. Take a quick measurement of the scale length, then to to Stewmac and use their fret calculator. Make a quick check of the distance between the frets to see if they're right. If so, send it off to LMI

Having said that, I'd be surprised if the board is wrong, because it appears that your guitar was made by Yamaha Nippon Gakki, in the late 60's-early 70's. What's really funny is that I've just identified the classical guitar I'm repairing, left to me by my husband's late daughter, as a Yamaha GC 3D, made by Nippon Gakki in 1971-74. The label had long fallen out and a round white thing has been inlaid where the round logo would have been, so identifying it has been a huge challenge.

The nicest Yamaha guitars came from Nippon, Japan, and they command a more of a price than other Yamaha's.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
nehsgolfer

Post by nehsgolfer »

Thank you guys so much for your input. The fingerboard I took off is in good shape ( except it wants to bend upward). If I decide not to use it, I will call LMI and see what they can do for me. This 12-string is going to be quite a project since I'm not too experienced at this sort of thing. I have stripped all the finish and I'm going to reset the neck. New bridge and re-spray the entire guitar. The guitar was given to me so I don't feel bad about putting a little money and time into it. Again, thanks.
Harold Hensley
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I really hope you post photos and blog your repair in the blog section of the forum. I look forward to seeing how you progress.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars