Glue for Bindings

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
TomNS

Glue for Bindings

Post by TomNS »

I see online that Stew Mac recomends SciGrip Weld-On Cement for Bindings , In Nova Scotia we can't get that product will a generic Super Glue or Krazy glue work for this application
tippie53

Re: Glue for Bindings

Post by tippie53 »

I use duck cement or weld on with plastic . Super glue will work just try and be neat as it can be a pain to clean up . be careful as it can stain some spruces yellow
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've used Duco cement successfully. I generally like it better than superglue because it is more forgiving and I don''t need to worry about gluing myself to the guitar.

It really depends on the binding material though. Take a small piece of the binding you want to use and see if the proposed glue will work with it -- try to glue the sample piece to a small block of wood and see how well it holds.

Duco works well with celluloid binding. I'm not sure how well it would work with ABS plastic binding, or other plastic binding. It should work with wood binding.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Tom

I have used Duco on plastic with good success, but it is a sticky mess making sure there is glue between multiple pieces of binding/purfling. On my last guitar, I used thin CA glue with good success. You can take your time taping to make all of your seams close up, and it dries quickly - I always had trouble waiting long enough for the Duco to stop affecting the plastic before scraping.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 776959267/

Be sure that you put a little shellac on the surfaces of the channels to keep the CA from sucking into the wood and discoloring it - especially important with spruce

Ed
Ed M
Phil

Post by Phil »

TomNS wrote:I see online that Stew Mac recomends SciGrip Weld-On Cement for Bindings , In Nova Scotia we can't get that product will a generic Super Glue or Krazy glue work for this application
I've had the same problem, just can't find Duco or Weld On here in Canada. I have tried a couple different types of glues I found at the hardware store and Canadian Tire and none of them worked adequately. Someone else told me once that model maker's glue would work but never tried it.

I ended up settling on using thin CA glue (which I got from Lee Valley) on a couple guitars. Like previously mentioned I sealed spruce with shellac first, then taped my binding in place, and carefully wicked the thin CA along the edges of the binding.
TomNS

Post by TomNS »

Thanks for all the good advise looks like I will try the CA glue from Lee Valley
Where the shellac was use in the channels and seams will Tru Oil work as well
I am planning on using it to finish the guitar ,but if shellac works better I have no problem using that on the body and tru oil on the neck and headstock
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Tom

If you use shellac on the channels and just a bit onto the top and sides, you can sand it off after you install the binding/purfling, then use what you want for a finish.

Ed
Ed M
TomNS

Post by TomNS »

Thanks Ed I will use the Shellac as you advised
banjoguync

Post by banjoguync »

I use CA glue on my banjos with no problem, the hot stuff
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

I prefer thin superglue. It enables you the chance to tape all of your binding in place and see that you are happy with it before gluing. Once satisfied, the thin super will literally wick in all around the binding, so while keeping it taped in place, you can wick the glue around the guitar.

As mentioned, you want to seal your guitar first so the superglue does not discolor the wood. Spruce has a tendency to turn green, and it doesn't sand out. You can spray a seal coat over the body after routing binding, and all of that sealer will sand off before the build is done and won't inhibit or cause any future finish issues.

-Dan