How do you cut binding channels

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
geoawelch

Re: How do you cut binding channels

Post by geoawelch »

Thanks rcnewcomb

Do you have any issues with the donut leaving impressions on either the top or bottom during the routing procedure?

Thanks

George
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is common but most come out easy with sanding. if they are deeper you can can steam them up and all is good.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

geoawelch wrote:Thanks rcnewcomb

Do you have any issues with the donut leaving impressions on either the top or bottom during the routing procedure?

Thanks

George
I have not but I can see how it might happen. I have used the system you used with Kathy, although I switched to a Fleishman binding machine from Blue Creek Guitars. I use both of the tools mentioned as guides and hold the router while routing. I never put enough downward pressure on the router to dent the top or the back. I switched to the Fleishman style binding machine as it allows me to clamp down the carriage with the guitar and then be able to focus all my attention and hands on what the router is doing. With the binding machine keeping square to the guitar sides, it is very easy to guide the router to make the required cuts.

I had good results with the stewmac tower pictured. I mainly just feel more comfortable with the Fleishman.

I have been intrigued with the KMG router base, as it holds the router steady and care can be taken feeding the guitar into the jig. It is not unlike stationary binding setup I have seen in profession and manufacturing shops.

What bothered me with the tower is that you have to control both the body and the router for good results.
mikewaz

Post by mikewaz »

George - You may have already bought a binding system by now, but thought I'd reply to this thread just in case. You asked earlier about KMGs Guitar Binding Channel Routing System. I recently bought this system and used it over the weekend for the first time.

I got very good results using it. The system is simple, but effective. If you're looking to do a a dozen or so guitars a year I think it will serve you well. The price is reasonable and I love that I only need one simple router bit.

Mike
geoawelch

Post by geoawelch »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the post

Actually after much back and forth I, too, ended up buying Ken's system

He's shipping mid-week

I've got a few of his other tools and all have been well thought out and his support after the sale has been fantastic.

George